Jim2
Jim2 asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

How can I inspire a 400 lb. 27 year old to lose weight?

How can we motivate him? He's going to die young, if he doesn't start dieting and getting some exercise. He said he had been walking, but now looks worse than ever.

His parents are overweight too.

He already had a scary heart episode.

• ?

You really can't.  He has to be willing to make changes.  You can ask him HOW you can help him. For example, can you meet up and walk each day or send a text to encourage him, or would that irritate him?  Does he WANT to lose weight? Is the WILLING to do the hard work necessary?  There are lots of blogs, podcasts, YouTube videos, books, and apps that are designed to help people by tracking calories and steps and setting reminders and telling people what and how much to eat.  Ultimately, the person has to do the the work. 

don't give him money , don't give him food . 

• k w

just cut the carbs and sweets, that's a good first step

I wish I knew. I have a 600 pound friend in his late 20s who probably won't see 40. At one time he lost 80 pounds, but he got discouraged when he once again faced discrimination and humiliation in public and regained it. He has mobility issues, a leg ulcer that won't heal, and is desperately lonely and generally unhappy--but he's unwilling to make the sustained life changes that will improve his lot.

Diet is a lot more important than exercise when it comes to weight loss. Put all your focus there. It seems the most you can do from an outsider position is encourage, offer praise for small successes, and do what you can to help him succeed? Would he do WeightWatchers? They have many people with large losses.

Or would he let you pack him a lunch three days a week, or deliver a dinner, and he doesn't eat anything more than you gave him for that meal?

I would assume he needs counseling in addition to a sensible, healthy eating plan he can maintain his whole life. (Diets end, eating plans don't.)