Lv 5
357896 asked in SportsFootball (American) · 2 months ago

Is a 35 yard muffed kickoff kick good enough to make Sarah Fuller a social justice hero?

Vanderbilt's Sarah Fuller named SEC special teams player of the week after historic kick..

Media calls it a 'perfectly executed 35 yard kickoff ' which is ludicrous in itself but she's 'historic'.

Her black coach was fired after the game for losing 41-0 btw .

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

This was clearly a publicity stunt by a failing team with nothing to lose.

Vanderbilt is having a terrible season that is destined to be forgotten. Most of their losses were not even close, and the only reason they weren't blown out even worse in most games is because opponents slowed down and either put in 2nd string players and/or ran out the clock in the 2nd half of the games.

Next Saturday Vanderbuit will get blown out by #9 ranked Georgia, then their season will be over and completely forgotten about. Nobody will ever mention the 2020 Vanderbuit football team again except perhaps as the answer to a trivia question about the worst seasons in NCAA history.

The coach knew he was going to be fired and with the blowout score knew they probably wouldn't even wait until the season ends next week to do it. Its unlikely he'll get another head coaching job anytime in the foreseeable future. So this was a shameless last ditch effort to force his way into the history books like Colin Kapernick trying to force his way back into an NFL that clearly doesn't want him.

I will not criticize Ms. Fuller. She did nothing wrong. She was asked to join the team and she did. She was asked to go kick a football and either did her best or was obeying her coaches orders to kick a squib kick. She did her best to encourage her teammates and stay positive even when there was nothing positive about Vanderbuilt football's season.

But at the same time lets not pretend that she's some sort of hero who has just accomplished a breakthrough for women everywhere. Ms. Fuller was simply in the right place at the right time with the right type of genitals so that a failing coach could use her as a prop to distract the world from his historically terrible failure of a season.

So I'll tip my cap to her for her historic moment and congratulate her for the successful season that her Women's soccer team had. But she's not a hero and isn't going to get a minute of my time if she tries to lecture me or anyone else on social issues, no matter how hell-bent the media is on praising her as a hero.

• 1 month ago

hell no ,most vandy players are threatning to quit over this stunt 

• 1 month ago

Yes it is she did more then little Bill ever did ! 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If a man were to execute that kick, no one would care.  NO ONE would care.  Nothing any Vanderbilt player did in that game is worthy of coverage.  To cover a non-event just because she's a woman is extremely degrading to female athletes all over the world.  It reinforces the stereotype that men and women have different standards of achievement and is a huge setback in the fight for equality.

Man - make a 50 yd FG to win the game.  Run down a speedy wideout for a sick open field tackle.  Go 10-for-10 on FG tries over a 3 or 4 game stretch.  Then you get coverage.

Woman - show up.  Execute a weak kickoff that literally any collegiate athlete in any sport could have done (seriously, you could take a high school ping-pong player and they would be able to kick a football 30 yards off a tee).  Get put on a pedestal.

I would much rather see that time dedicated to a preview of the USWNT's next soccer match.  Or LPGA.  Or girls high school hockey.  Or anything where women are competing and making a difference.  Sarah Fuller did not make a difference.  At all.

Not bashing her - there are 1000's of backup males who also don't make a difference every week, and those are perfectly fine individuals who I'm sure are accomplishing great things in other aspects of their lives.  But Sarah deserves the same amount of coverage for her efforts on the field as those 1000's of unknown backups do - which is none.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Nice to see that in age of COVID...players getting held out following protocols...gender inequality still exists. A woman cant even kick a ball over any man in the world. Whether he has experience or not. Whether she ACTUALLY plays FUTBOL. The actual sport where she kicks better than men. Just because he has a set of balls you think he's good. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Just more liberal feel-good garbage.

• 2 months ago

Absolutely not.

We can all be proud when a woman is the first to do something, or the first woman to do something that a man in the same position would have done.

But to celebrate a 25 yard squib kick (that bounces a few more) that gave the opposite team good field position to start?  No.  Celebrate the first woman to kick a 50-yard field goal.  Or make a sack.  Or kick one through the end zone.

This sort of thing is patronizing to women who are legitimately making an impact in the world.

• Cu Tie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Not really. My sister went to a private, all-girls high school and played her only year of football during her senior year of high school. 

She beat out the neighbor, a star running back at the local high school (he was a year younger than my sister), for the all county football honors (the neighbor had earned the all county football honors the previous year as a sophomore).

• 2 months ago

You wouldn't think so, but given how many people have been obviously triggered this week, I guess it was enough.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

They call it a squib kick but you don't use a squib kick when you're getting blown out. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.