Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Is this a good enough email to ask my Calculus professor for an extension on an exam?

Dear Professor [NAME],

I am writing to request an extension on the exam for Wednesday. For the past few weeks, I have had a lot on my plate. I tested positive for COVID-19 a couple of weeks ago and had to quarantine back home for the week before thanksgiving. On top of that, I’ve been working a lot at my family’s car dealership on [ADDRESS] throughout the semester. We’ve dealt with hard times due to COVID and the George Floyd riots. The business has not been as strong as usual and the dealership was broken into, vandalized, and severely damaged due to the civil unrest that erupted after the killing of George Floyd.

I deeply care about this course and have been studying diligently the past week, but I don’t think my efforts will be enough for the test on Wednesday. If you would like, I can provide you with the call logs and confirmation emails I received from [SCHOOL] regarding my COVID diagnosis.

I would love it if you could grant me this extension.

It's probably not a good idea to blame your problems on the BLM protesters. I would stick with the fact that you were diagnosed with COVID. COVID is well know to cause enormous fatigue and mental confusion. Whether or not you experienced those symptoms, you can say that you are just recovering, and have been unable to focus on studying. Leave out the work- you can't both be working AND quarantining. 

• ?

It's really cringey. Don't make it a sob story. Just say you were diagnosed with COVID-19 in mid November, you've recovered, and that you need a couple more days to study.

The email itself is okay.  Whether you will be granted an extension is anyone's guess.  These sound like issues you've been dealing with all along and that should have been brought to the attention of your professor long before this.  While some of these things may certainly have affected you (e.g., George Floyd), they are not likely going to be considered reasonable excuses for an extension.  Your COVID diagnosis might, but again that argument would be strengthened if you have been in contact with your professor about your COVID struggle already. It comes across as if you're unprepared for this exam, and are now scrambling to justify that with all of the bad things you've had to deal with over the last 6 months. 

Did you inform this teacher, or any of your teachers when you tested positive? Telling them weeks after the fact doesn’t help.  You should have informed your Dean of Student, who then would have informed all your teachers.  Where you ill?  Too ill to study those weeks? 

Many student have a job.  The killing of George Floyd was in May before school even started. And although your professor will probably sympathize with you and your family, you started school with these work problems and work schedule. You made the choice to do both.   

You left this request until the day before the exam. 

Professors are overloaded with emails. There is a chance they just won’t get to your email. You may want to try to call. Professors are very individualistic on how they run their class.  Really no one here can tell you what their response may be,

what is an extension on an exam.

• ?

If he responds. If not try sending another one and be patient and realizes they get a lot of emails. If not go talk to your professor