Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

What were cell phones like in the 1970s?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

they are cell phones black cell phones and purple

• L
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

I only remember rich people/business people and perhaps doctors having a cell phone, however, they were really bulky and huge.  Most people, just had a home phone.

• 2 months ago

They hadn't been out yet. The first was somewhere around the mid '80s. By 1993, they were still about the size of a briefcase as the battery pack was quite large.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

First cell phone I ever saw  (as opposed to a car phone) was around 1985 - it was a briefcase that weighed about 35 pounds.  Around 1992 we thought "the brick" was a vast improvement.......then smaller versions.  But those were all analog.  When things went digital  and I got a flip phone - 2000 - 2005 ? . . . . . now on my second flip and suppose I'll have to get a smartphone although I have no need for one - waiting to see what 5G brings.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • garry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

what the type you carried over your shoulder or have mounted in you car if you where that rich ..thinks the were called cb radios ..

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Virtually nonexistent.  They started limited trials in 1977.  Think of the old car mount phones from the 80s, except much larger.  

There were mobile phones that required a mobile operator and had very limited service which was introduced in the 1940s.Cell service didn't become widespread in large cities until the mid 80s. 

• 2 months ago

What cell phones?  We didn't have them in the 1970s., There were satellite phones, but these weren't cell phones and they were huge, heavy and inordinantly expensive. 

• 2 months ago

watch old tv show "Get Smart" -- and you'll see

• ?
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

The handset was much the same as a normal household phone at the time.

It wasn't cordless you had a small briefcase type container to carry it around.

There were very few actual cell towers so you had to be within a specific location to make or receive a call, which was charged at a premium rate per minute.. Batteries did not last very long and were expensive and not rechargeable It was mainly on the spot reporters, bookies and stockbrokers and rich businessmen who used them, the price was out of range of an average person.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Like huge bricks.           .

Attachment image
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.