A+ student about to fail public speaking class?

I'm in community college, taking a public speaking course online. I've had a lot of scheduling issues this semester... Ah 2020... Jury duty, family emergencies, my own mental health struggles, etc. Somehow I've still managed to do good work, on time, and currently have over 100% in this class from extra credit.

My dilemma: I'm completely burnt out from all the emergency type things this semester. At this point I would rather take a large point loss than give another huge speech this week, which would still give me a B in the class if I skipped it, based on the points it's worth according to the syllabus. However, the last time I contacted my teacher about a family emergency, he said he "didn't know" if he was allowed to pass me without me giving every single speech because of possible California State guidelines.

The thing is, I know that other students have skipped out on speeches because we are all required to sit in as the audience on Zoom calls. One of the students isn't in the class anymore, but the other students are. So if they skipped, how did they not already fail or get dropped??

Does anyone know about these "regulations"? I'm not sure what to do and I'm worried that if another emergency comes up on a speech day, I will be required to retake the course because I missed one speech and failed the whole class as a straight A student.

No, I'm not.  I never took Public Speaking.

Can you drop the course?  It sounds like that might be your best option.

edit:  The Registrar can't help you.  Try talking to the department head if your prof is unsure about what can be done.

• ?

I don't know what regulations those could be.  As others noted, college professors have a lot of control over the curriculum, grading, etc.  I'd ask them again and or contact either the head of the department or the registrar.

You know what, I think you should just go for it. You are a straight A student~ why spoil that? I understand that this has been a shtty year for you, but it has been shtty for everyone. Don't use that as an excuse. Years from now you are going to think back and ether be proud of your effort, or be pssed off at yourself because you gave in. Do it, get it overwith, and then take a rest. You got this. 

I'd look at the syllabus and specifically, what educational objectives are met with the course. Look at the grading rubric and what skills you are having to show mastery of; ask the teacher to provide more information about the state guidelines if it's not clear after reading the syllabus. You may have to decide, an emergency is different than, "I just don't want to because I'm tired." If there is an emergency, ask what the options are for making up that speech.

Thanks DCM5150. I'm thinking that may be what's happening too. And don't worry, I have made the Dean's list for a 3.5-4.0 GPA every single semester and will still do so even if I miss this speech (I calculated it).

I don't know of these regulations. Generally speaking a teacher or professor has near full control of your grade in CA. My guess is the prof is trying to scare you into doing the speech because he doesn't want to not give you an A. He may be even trying to say (without saying it) just do the speech no matter how bad and you will get an A. 

I would also be careful simply giving away an A in a course as your GPA can impact where you would go beyond CC.