Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

How do I politely turn down my aunts offer to spend the weekend with her?

She’s a good person but she’s so consumed with hatred right now about the estate towards her other sister, my other aunt, and my grandmother. She’s not as vicious towards my mom, her third sister. 

I agree with some of her points about her being the second rate child, and I don’t think this is fair to her, but I don’t like getting involved and having to listen to it for nine hours. So how do I politely turn her down until she mellows and her bitterness goes away? We used to be really close and she has no kids.  She took in her niece and her brother was abusing alcohol and that’s why her parents see her second rate because she didn’t keep the secret that her brother was an alcoholic.  Also she was not as successful as a kid as the others which of course was not her fault as she likely had what would nowadays be considered learning disabilities.  

• Carmen

Just be honest and explain how you feel because of all the disunity in the family of you really want to stay the weekend just let your Yes mean Yea and No mean No respectfully. Try to keep a calm heart and your peace of mind with everything going on. Everyone is accountable for their own actions and decisions. 

You need to say, "The answers isn't no.  It's f*ck NO!"  Then do a little dance for a couple of minutes until you bring a smile to her face.  Then leave.

She is using you and like you said you do not need to be involved. Sounds like the whole family is dysfunctional. Just tell her that you already have commitments. You do not need to give her any explanations. If she doesn't respect that then you will see her TRUE COLORS

let her know u is not down with family drama and bitterness,be true to self.know that it's perfectly acceptable to decline an invitation—just do so gracefully and in a manner that does not offend the host. tell her something come up.I need some quiet downtime. I hope you understand!"  Make it a firm, clear no, and they won't be able to try to convince you to come. I decline thanksgiving with some bitter trump supporters cause i wasnt down with hearing that cult bs.for sanity sakes..tell her u is quarantine cause u got a touch of covid,that will do it forreal forreal

How old are you that you don't know how to politely decline an invitation?  Surely this isn't your first time.

LOL...