Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Can your boss limit days off?

my boss is adding a new rule that only 2 people are allowed to request a day off on a single day. We have over 40 employees so this seems unreasonable. I was wondering if this is legal?

• ?

100% legal, and quite standard.  My guess is you have a good amount of sick call outs, so he is wisely mitigating those issues y limiting the scheduled absences.

• J M

Yes, they are allowed to do that. 

1. Yes.

2. Whether that's "unreasonable" is subjective and also would depend on the nature of the business and the kinds of employees the employees are, like if they're all part-time employees working various shifts at a restaurant that's open all day and maybe even all night, even possibly understaffed, that wouldn't be unreasonable.

3. The legality of that would depend on a variety of factors, like if it violates the terms of a union contract, it would be a violation of civil law (i.e., not criminal law).

• ?

Perfectly legal unless you're working under an employment contract which states otherwise.