Mark
Mark asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

Is it true that 273,160 Americans have died from coronavirus?

With 13,760,000 cases so far, that brings it to a 2% death rate.  Could you imagine if we didn't try to limit its spread and 200,000,000 contracted it?  That would mean 4 million dead.

Not strictly true, no. Most of those deaths (and I'd bet you've heard it before), were people with existing conditions made lethal by COVID-19. Had they been healthy to begin with, they wouldn't have died from COVID.

• Pete

They are clamping down in Canada. In my city you must wear a mask in a shop or you will be refused service. In fact a woman was charged and arrested for organising an anti mask rally. She has a court date in January and faces a fine of $10,000 to $100,000 and up to a year in jail.

• kswck2

The death toll is as much as 30% overinflated. Hospitals gets more Fed money for each death so they have an incentive to list COIVD on the death certificate. 

Yes. In China, around 60,000 people have died which liberals deny. 

No. A local talk show host I listen to tested positive and he often questions how accurate the number of deaths are. Many had underlying conditions and even if a Covid patient dies in a car crash or heart attack, they are counted as a Covid death.

We don't know what it would mean.

I'm in California.  In inside spaces no one is not wearing a mask (some wear it incorrectly).  I have friends in other places of the country who swear they are the same... yet they post pictures of big groups of people (kids sports teams, halloween, etc) where they are "not" taking precautions.

- cuddled together, no mask, inside taking selfies.

We also don't have any idea of "who" is dying.  Many people have died because they haven't sought treatment.  44% of nursing home residents elect not to have treatment.  Some of these people die, some of these people recover.  I know of 3 people locally who did not seek treatment (not elderly, but were afraid to go to the hospital) and died.

- some people who do seek treatment die... I'm not saying they don't, we just don't know the correlation.

Additionally, you have to look at the covid numbers more closely.

US deaths from covid prior to June 1 was about 5.8%

US deaths from June-August was about 1.8%

US deaths from September-November is about 1.3%

There are multiple reasons for the decreased death rate but primarily better treatment and different demographics of people acquiring the illness (likely to have less complications).

We also can't expect the case numbers to be accurate (I don't question the death numbers).  Individuals are taking many tests each week.  I know people who took 2 a day for 7 days to make sure they knew exactly when the negative test occurred after a positive test - so they could return to work.  I do not think the health depts have the means to wade through all of these tests and to realize that these tests are the same person and at least some duplicate tests get counted as new cases.

And to anonymous who is afraid to shake hands with a covid patient, clearly doesn't understand how covid spreads.  No, I would not be afraid to shake hands with a covid patient but I would wash my hands before touching my face.

- I would not willingly be inside or another enclosed space for 10+ minutes with neither of us wearing masks. 

And yet some people still think it is not dangerous and compare it to flu. 

"CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza"

To those who say COVID-19 is a hoax, please go and shake hands with a COVID-19 patient. If it IS a hoax what do you have to lose?