Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

How effective are guns at deterring home invasion? Does the US have a much lower burglary rate than countries with no guns?

I'm thinking of getting one but I'm trying to weigh up the pros against the cons. If it's going to stop people breaking in that's good, but if one of my kids accidently shoots the other one I think that's worse.

If I do keep it in a gun safe what is the correct etiquette if an armed intruder bursts into my bedroom? Is it okay to ask him to wait for a moment while I open the safe?

Burglaries most often occur in the afternoon, when nobody is home.

Having a gun when there is no one present makes it totally ineffective.

Look up the statistics for how many children are killed accidentally by guns in homes. I would never have a gun, because my family is safer with no guns around. 

If you are afraid, get cameras and a burglar alarm.

Training and discipline is the make / break the  pros outweighing the cons. 

There are all manner and sort of high tech security devices to keep firearms safe, yet ready to use. 

Firearms are not a "deterrent" to a home invasion, but can be indispensable to ending one in progress in your favor. 

I choose to not carry or protect my home with a firearm, but if I change my mind, It would be done with appropriate safety.  

• wowser

Zero deterrent.  In fact they cause a dramatic rise in injury to the occupants

Most home burglaries happen during the day and in homes that are vacant, many times they ring the doorbell, knock on the door to see if anyone is home, if someone answers they come up with BS story - wrong address, need new windows? etc. and they move on to another home. Most home burglars are not looking to get in a shootout. If someone comes at night that's a different story, then they are coming for your stuff, and maybe you and they will be prepared as you are.