Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Is it safe to boil fish ?

For a stock. E.g a piece cod, salmon, haddock , prawns cooked slightly in oven first and then finished off boiled in water with added herbs. Should this work? Because I can't get fish bones?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • denise
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Ask at the fishmonger / fish merchant for some 'stock' fish bones, they should be able to help you.

Or, when you buy a whole fish, when you de-head and bone it, you could make some stock from that along with some herbs and seasonings.

• 2 months ago

pouched is a yes, Boil will probably cause an issue with the meat falling apart.

• 2 months ago

I would save the fish for a meal and not "waste" it for a stock. 

You can buy bottles of clam juice 

You can buy shell on shrimp and use the shells for your stock. 

There are products you can buy, Better Than Bullion has several seafood stocks.  Knorr makes a seafood base as well. 

Larger supermarkets or often "ethnic" markets have seafood counters and they may sell or even give you bones if you ask. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

A safer and more healthy alternative would be to steam fish there by keeping in all of the vitamins and nutrients and it taste pretty good too!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Safe, yes - but a waste of fish. If you can't get bones for stock, then maybe look at buying the stock ready-made. You won't get the same depth of flavour from fish without bones. 

You could also use shellfish shells (eg prawn shells /  heads, crab etc) to make a stock.

• 2 months ago

Of course it is safe to boil fish. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I wouldn't but it is safe (waste of good fish) - if you can get shrimp/prawns, whole crab (any or all) you can simmer just the shells with onion, celery, carrot, salt and pepper, for hours and strain and have a very nice seafood stock. The stock is especially good if you can get head-on prawns and boil the heads with the shells. 

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

That fine to make a stock. Boiling should kill off any bacteria.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Why would it be dangerous to boil food, especially food that lives in water?

If you want to make fish stock, is it that hard to look up a recipe?   I suggest you do so, because your methodology is off.

You'll want to have a strainer on hand so that you can strain out the bones/shells. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Safe?  What dire thing do you suppose would happen?  Do you have any idea how quickly fish poaches, not to mention prawns?  More than three minutes and those prawns are so rubber you would throw them on the floor and they'd bounce to the ceiling.  Pick one method of cooking or the other.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.