How to deal with situation involving property damage over $1000 with sibling living at home due to leaving incendiary note?

Two Friday’s ago I left a note on my sisters door ( I am 32 she is 29) to take out the trash because she stopped doing so... I also included things about her inviting her boyfriend over every weekend ( at least every other weekend but not every weekend) and I called him out about his work his weight and his lifestyle. She took it upon herself to destroy my $600 laptop and $400 PlayStation 4 while I was away at work as retaliation ( I believe the boyfriend was the one of broke my laptop) but my parents let them completely off the hook. They told me I wrong for writing the note my dad gave me $1000 but there is this horrible feeling of no accountability whenever they are in the home now . She didn’t bring him over the past two weeks but he has stayed over the past two nights and I just can’t get over this. They refuse to pay me back personally so I can repay my dad or admit any wrong doing instead the girl wants to cry about how insulting the note was... what are things I can do about this.... I’ve never lost over $1000 worth of items especially an expensive laptop and this just wrecks me everytime I think about it .... I thought about pressing charges but I can’t since my parents would look down on this... please help?

• T J

Tell your parents, you do intend to press charges, unless they make it right and pay up.

• ?

Are you living, still, with your parents? Unclear.  You can and should press charges, in my opinion. This is destruction of your property. You can sue in small claims court, but even if you were to win, there is also the challenge of collecting whatever you are rewarded.

You and your sister are apparently estranged, or ought to be, in my opinion. Its too late for your parents to teach her right from wrong, and covering your financial loss, while a nice gesture from your father, is indeed not helping her, nor will it make up for the toxic relationship you apparently have together.

She wasn't the only one to be held accountable here: you were out of line to write what you did, and should by now, know better.

If at your age, you are still worrying about how things will look to your parents, so be it. But if I were you, I'd stand up for myself and what is right, and the devil be damned. Good luck.  

• Archer

You know at 32 one would think that you would have learned how to make choices in "your" life. Try small claims court for the malicious destruction of your property and if she is living in "your" home, kick her freeloading but out! 

You are grown adults. If you can't figure it out, why are you still alive? You both should be out of the house and in your own apartment struggling on your own.

This should be under mental health because you 2 ain't healthy.

Was this at your house or your parents house?   If your house, kick her out.   If at your parents house, you should have let them deal with it.   How can you stop it from happening again?   MOVE YOUR ASSOUT!

• ?

A better question might be "why are two fully grown adults still sharing space at their parents' house?". The clear solution to this problem longterm is to get your own place. Since your dad's paying for the damage just take his money.