Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Should I go to college or buy an apartment with that money?

Last year, my dad bought an apartment for me so I could have my own home. I had a hard time in high school due to my ADHD so my dad said he could buy another apartment with the money he saved for my education and I can put that apartment on rent while I'll go to technical school to learn something. What would you guys choose? 

It's like being given a choice between Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump. I would choose to buy a cardboard box and a plot of land under the expressway. At least I'll finally have some "assets" to call my own.

I think Dad's got a good idea.

• Mary

Unless you really want to study and have some subject or career picked out that you really want to pursue, otherwise whats the point? 

There is no point in going to college unless you know what you want to study and know you will somehow finish the course.

But if you do then go ahead and go to college, if not then go out there and work and live in the apartment. College is not for everyone.

Move back home and have Dad rent out both apartments, and use the income for your tech school training.

Real estate is a very good investment. Are you prepared to manage the rented apartment? They'll be calling you when there's a plumbing problem, or the dishwasher breaks down- maybe in the middle of the night. Are you prepared to deal with that? If so, there's no reason you couldn't rent the apartment and go to technical school. Figure out first what you want to do, and what kind of work would make you happen. I just had a guy here fitting one of those bathtub inserts. He works for a company, but he says he really likes what he does, because he's good with his hands, he goes to a different place every day, can specify what days he wants to work, and he doesn't have a boss looking over his shoulder. There's also a huge demand for HVAC installers. 

buy apartment and rent it out until you're sure you know what you want to do and have a solid plan to get there

• drip

Go to your local community college and see what trade / two year career programs they have.

YOU need a decent job. To get that you need a education or training.  You can not depend on your father to pave the way for you for your entire life. Use part of the saved money to go to community college. They are usually cheaper than a trade school, they are a public school and usually have a good reputation. Many trade schools come on go.

You do not need a four year Bachelor degree. With your academic background would you get through a four year degree? 

If your dad will pay for CC for two years and an apartment you should be doing great once you get a full time job in a good career. 

Learn how to budget your money. Make that rent money really pay off. Save part of it for property taxes and maintenance.

• ?

You have a very caring father.

Only you can answer the question of choosing between college or buying another apartment. Both are good choices; you need to ask yourself which choice is the better choice for you.

Best wishes.

• DON W

Well, technical school will still cost a fair bit of money, otherwise the plan sounds logical.