Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)English Football (Soccer) · 2 months ago

Was Diego Maradona an overrated footballer?

I looked at his stats and realized they're really average. There are so many other players with better stats, honours, etc. What exactly did he do that put him among the best? I'm not understanding.

Errr no.  It’s true that his club career isn’t quite as good as other top players from eras.  Compare his medal haul to that of Xavi and Iniesta and it pales. But he carried an average Argentina side all the way to winning the World Cup and you don’t do that if you’re overrated.

Probably, from what I’ve seen I was not that impressed, yeah he was very good but people make out he’s an obvious GOAT but he’s just a bit meh for me I think there’s  way more impressive players and accomplishments out there.

• no because you know nothing about football, prob one of them ignorant handegg fans, from the land that knows feck all about FOOTBALL

• CMD

Yes

He could dribble, that was it.

He was the best of all time imo

• Adam

You've highlighted one of my key annoyances with the game. Stats in a team sport can be irrelevant. Example. 2 midfielders, A has made 100 passes in a game and completed all of them, B has made 20 and completed 12. On stats alone, you assume A is the better passer. However now I'll add, A's passing were all to a teammate no further than 5 meters away, B's were to teammates 40 yards away and 2 set up crosses which set up a goal. B is actually the better player. The best way to judge Diego Maradonna, go watch him.

thats the problem with people who do not understand sports

team sports depends on the quality of your fellow players

stats can be misleading