Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 2 months ago

Is it better to wash clothes in warm or cold water?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I wash all clothes in cold water, the laundry detergent is designed to remove the dirt. Tea Towels and Dish cloths I was in hot water.

• 2 months ago

Current detergents will clean your clothes very well in cold water. There is no real advantage to use warm or hot water. It is not hot enough to kill germs but can set some stains. 

• 2 months ago

depends on the clothes and what's on them

• 2 months ago

Warm/ Hot water kills more germs. Always wash towels, sheets, and anything white on hot water & anything colored on cold water. If you use hot water to wash colored clothes you risk the colors bleeding out onto other clothes. 

This is why it’s important to separate whites & colors. Also things that have any sort of stain on them or excess sweat like gym clothes you need to pre-treat the stain before washing it with some sort of stain remover. 

Hot water is generally better to get clothes clean, but never use it with colored clothing. Also cold water saves money. BOYS TAKE NOTES ahaha. (My husband likes to throw everything in the wash all at once and it drives me crazy) 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

instructions will be on the bottle or box

• 2 months ago

Nowadays, the "soap" works in either hot or cold water.

The confusion lies in the idea that coloured clothes needed to be washed in cold water, to prevent dyes running and spoiling other colours, especially white. White clothing needed hot water to get the stains out, and most whites required starching.

But the thing is, people used to wear clothing for a week  or longer between washes, so the stains were often ground in... 

• Jake
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

depends how clean you want them warm water could shrink them but it will sure as hell be more effective at removing any stains or bad odors

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Cold water.     

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.