Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Psychiatrists- tell me about your occupation? ?

If attending university has taught me anything, it's that I'm well below average intelligence. It's been my lifelong goal to become a psychiatrist, but I'm not sure if I'm cut out for it. 

I know that there is a 2-year Associates degree, and then a 4-year Bachelors' degree, followed by 4 years of medical school. After such, there's a required 4-year residency. 

I'm looking for any information whatsoever that would help me make this decision. I'm passionate about this, but I can't afford to attend all of this schooling if it's going to be in vain. Any information at all is appreciated 

Prospective MDs really must not go to community college. It's a big handicap. Those science & math courses don't count toward meeting prerequisites for admission to medical school, so you have to retake them. Premed programs & admissions to med school are so tough, so competitive, so demanding that your self-description makes this totally beyond your capacities. Furthermore, after 4 yr bachelor's + 4 yr med school, psychiatry typically requires 7 years of residency.

• MS

You don't need an associate's degree; if you were to get one, it would usually be granted along the way toward your bachelor's degree as part of a cooperative program between a community college and a university.  You need a bachelor's degree to get into medical school.  

Medical school admission is competitive.  You must have excellent grades, particularly in math and science, and good MCAT scores.  You should also do some volunteer work or something similar in the field.  Once you complete medical school, then you will have to apply to a residency program; psychiatry residency programs are moderately competitive.  

You may also want to consider work in affiliated fields, such as counseling, social work, or psychology.  While you will probably want a graduate degree in those fields in order to do the work you probably want to do, those programs are not generally as competitive and are not usually quite as intensive.  The training will not be as long. 

EDIT - to correct some misinformation you have received: Medical school students can and do start at community college; if those courses count toward your bachelor's degree, then they are counted as your prerequisites.  Medical schools don't want students who are going back to school to get those prerequisites to take them at the community college.  A typical psychiatry residency is 4 years. 

• John

"...there is a 2-year Associates degree, and then a 4-year Bachelors' degree,..."

That is incorrect.  A total of only 4 years (not 6) is needed to obtain a Bachelors degree.  An Associates is not necessary.  If one did get an Associates degree, those credits would count toward ones Bachelors.