Why not dispose of hazardous material where it originated?

I mean if it's so dangerous that it needs to be disposed of by incineration why run the risk of shipping it within hundreds of miles. Just build an incinerator near the facilities.  

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Incineration right in middle of a city with a lot of people?  Or in middle of a wild life refuge?  Or a big forest?

Review the situation with Interstate Batteries of Vernon, CA, just south of downtown Los Angeles.  Lots of lead pollution to clean up.  Cannot incinerate there.

Oil spill goo in Prince William Sound from Exon Valdez?  Wouldn't burning it be worse yet?  Ditto on Gulf of Mexico waters from Deep Water Horizon drilling platform disaster.  How to set that afire?

World Trade Center wreckage full of asbestos?  Burning in Manhattan not intelligent.

Ditto for Three Mile Island melted reactor.

• 2 months ago

Probably the single biggest problem with that is permitting. The old "not in my back yard" will kick in and you would never get the new facility built.

'

The is also the problem with many hazardous materials that can not be disposed of by incineration. They must be stored in safe places and that means very specific geographical locations. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Most of it came from a mine deeeeeeep in the earth which is now on fire or contaminated with radiation. or it is under the Chernoble NPP.

You can take it there and rebury it.

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Incineration would spread the hazardous material.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.