Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicLyrics · 2 months ago

Do I need permission to make parody songs?

Now, I know that I don't need permission to make a parody on any song as long as it's just a parody. THat's how Al Wierd Yankovic does it. But I see what he does is completely changing the original sense of a song. He takes "Beat it" and makes it "Eat it" Gangsta paradise" turned into "Amish Paradise" and so on. Nothing left from the origin but the melody. But what if to make a parody on a song leaving the name of the song and its sense. So if the original artist sings about something lyrical, I take the same thing, the same name but change some lines turning it into another mood, maybe even mentioning the author... Or it will be already against copyright?

parody and free use laws are kinda a gray area in general, but most artist are cool with covers of there music being performed, and a few go out of there way to mention how they love seeing them, but if you wish to look into that there's plenty of great sources online, and legal advice sites/channels

Parody as fair use is a possible defense that you would need to prove when you get sued for infringement or charged with felony copyright infringement (i.e., for profit).   Weird Al (or the like) has to get a license to use the music, since parody only protects his WORDS from being a copyright infringement, at least for works that still have any copyright (it doesn't last forever and some songs never had enforceable US copyright until the laws were recently changed, since recordings were not included in federal law until 1972).

Copyrights usually involve the lyrics and the music.  They also only involve making money from the music, because the money is what copyrights protect.

If you're not making any money, the copyright lawyers won't even notice you.  You could record parodies and release them to your friends, you could even go viral on YouTube, and you would totally get away with it.  The second you start making money (excluding local cover charges and such), they'll come after you for copyright violation.