Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

I want to be an HVAC technician. Should I go to community college or trade school ?

In order to answer that question, I would call several HVAC contractors in your area and ask that question to them.  Educational quality varies widely, and in some areas one or the other would be better, so you should find out where the people who do the hiring get their people from, if they even take techs fresh out of school.

• MS

You should go to whichever offers the degree or certificate you need.  Where I am, community colleges do not offer HVAC programs; only vocational (trade) schools do (all of which are affiliated with the public school systems and offer a year of free tuition to students who attended during their high school years). If you have a choice of options, then I would choose community college. 

• drip

I would go with a community college. CC are public schools and usually have a lower tuition and  a good reputation for their trade programs. 

I have three CC near me and they all offer a HVAC program.  

Trade schools, also known as vocational technical schools. Yes, some community colleges do offer some courses like that, but many of them do not. 

Which offers such training programs in your area? And which employers are hiring newly certified technicians in your area? Check school offerings, certification, and check to see if their Placement Office is actually getting any job listings.

• DON W

Community college is usually the better option.  They are supported by public funds, are highly unlikely to close down, and potential employers will know about them.

Some trades schools are okay, but some--particularly those that are there to make a profit--may not be.