Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

How would you transfer paint from a 2-gal bucket to a 1-gal can without spilling any? Does it pour easily or does it spill outside the rim?

I don't want to find out by trying and making a mess. I want to know from someone who has done it. 

Update:

I'm going from 2-gal to 1-gal, not vice versa. 

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

The slower you pour it out of the can, the more it will run down the can! Just pour it quickly and stop quickly.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I would recommend that you find the most expensive flooring in your house and pour there.

. Yeah you are going to make sure you are not a slop. You get good real fast. (Sure, you could be a "tourist" and do it on the back lawn) but there is no CHALLENGE that way.

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

try a thing called a pouring funnel .

• 2 months ago

I would recommend using a funnel.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • CB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Lay a couple pieces of newspaper on the ground have a 2-3 inch brush handy, pour the paint carefully and then use the brush to wipe the paint drips off the two gallon bucket after you set it down (on the paper). 

• 2 months ago

When you remove the paint can lid on the larger can, Take a regular (not phillips head) screwdriver and put it in the groove where the lid was in several places, and hit that screwdriver with a hammer to poke a hole in the bottom of the groove. Do this around the rim in three or four places. When you pour paint from that can, even if it runs into the lid groove, it will drip right back down into the can without making a mess. you should STILL pour it on some sort of floor barrier, even so. Paint can also splash out of the cans. 

The store where you buy your paint will probably also have snap-on plastic "pour spouts" you can attach to the can, if you don't want to poke holes in your lid grooves. These can be removed and washed off and reused later. 

• 2 months ago

If you're careful how you pour, making sure to pour into the centre of the paint can and pouring slowly but steadily, you should be able to do it without spilling. It's when you tip the bucket back up that you may get paint sliding over the rim of the bucket.If you want to be sure you don't get paint into the rim of the paint can, cover the rim with tin foil or masking tape. And you might want to put newspaper or an old cloth on the floor and have some rags handy.

• 2 months ago

If there is two gallons in the bucket, it all won't fit into a one gallon can.  Use a funnel.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

WRONG FORUM dumdumb. Try again. This is the Cars & ransportation Maintenance & Repairs forum. Go to the Home & Garden category. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Got a dollar? Buy one of these, which snap onto the lip of a one-gallon paint can. We've used the same one for years, and pouring paint into a tray or a smaller container simply isn't a problem.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/FoamPRO-1-gal-Paint-Ca...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.