Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Can you install a new roof in the winter when temps are 25 at night and 35 highest temp in the day?

It's not a great idea in those temperatures if you're using asphalt shingles. 

They get more brittle as the temperature drops. 

If there is snow, definitely do not. 

There needs to be sunshine for the shingles to bond at the adhesive line. 

Personally, I wouldn't shingle a roof in less than 50° F weather (on MY house). 

A roofer will shingle in the cold, because he wants money, but he doesn't have to live with the possibly bad results.

You probably can if it's metal, plastic or wooden shake.

Asphalt shingles need the heat of the sun, in warmer months, to set it....Seal it.

I don't think any reputable roofer would guaranty an asphalt roof installed in cold weather season. 

I would not, partly because of rain and snow. Cover it with tarpaulin if it leaks, and wait until Spring. 

• ?

Hot tar, probably; metal, tile, and wood (shake / shingle) - yes; but (as per my guess) the tar on the backside of asphalt shingles would not warm enough to melt and cause them to stick down. If no windstorms during the winter, this could be acceptable. But elhigh also has a good point about ice cold shingles cracking.  Ask the roofer instead of us.

• ?

yes you can i have done it many times 

READ the directions for the roofing material.  some are ok with this [metal] others are not [shingles].  tile roof, I don't know.  shakes, I don't know

• elhigh

Well, if I was the guy installing it, I wouldn't want to do it.  There's that.  The installers might charge you extra.

Also, manipulating ice-cold asphalt shingles can crack them.  They really ought to be installed when they're well above freezing.  The manufacturers recommend 40 and above; I'd prefer at least 60 just to ensure that the sealant does its thing quickly.

Of course its done here in mi all the time. It can be hard to have a time that is free of ice snow and dry though.