Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Is my dad abusing my dogs?

My dad sometimes hits/grabs the dogs really hard and yanks them around whenever they do something he doesn't like, i.e, barking too loud, accidentally steps on his foot etc. It's been a problem for a while and even my mum has brought it up to him. He get's really angry at them and they will yelp and hide from him. He treats them well when they don't do anything though. My 21 yr old brother has started doing the same thing, but even when they try to sit near him he will lash out at them and shove them really hard and knock them down. A few times I had to keep an eye out on one because I was scared that the dog had a concussion from it. What do I do? I'm too scared to tell anyone because I don't want him to get put in jail or something.

I'm trying my best and I promise I'm not doing it too. my parents have been abusive in the past. I don't have anywhere to go if they kick me out if I call and I'm only in high school. the fact people keep saying I'm cruel too makes me feel sick to my stomach. Im really ******* scared I promise I'm not a bad person I'm really sorry 

I have tried talking to him before and so has my mum. it doesn't happen often but its still really **** and I don't want them to live like that

Take the dogs out and give them to a no-kill shelter. Say nothing to family.

I'm so sorry you have been put in this situation. But, if your dogs get scared whenever your father or brother come around, most likely they are feeling abused. Trust me, I have a chihuahua who was abused in her prior owners' home. I understand that your scared but, if you have a friend, you can have them anonymously call SPCA or Animal Control. Your father would think that a neighbor noticed, he would never know that you did it.

Source(s): my brain

I understand you are not abusing them and your father and brother are and I understand you're scared and have nowhere to go, but I think you should either talk to your neighbors or even a friend or relative you trust and ask one of them to call Animal control anonymously for you. I also think that you, your brother, your mother, and the dogs should leave your father and find somewhere else to go and your mother should teach your brother that abuse is wrong. I don't know how anyone can be so cruel to animals or do something so aweful! It doesn't matter how often they are being abused or what the reason is, abuse is abuse and is never okay. 

• TK

Yes, your father and brother are abusing the dogs.  Your choice is to keep quiet and the abuse will continue or make an anonymous report to your local animal control and, hopefully, someone will come by and ask questions.  Unless the dogs have obvious injuries, animal control cannot take them away, but maybe asking questions will make your father think twice before he hurts another dog. 

I can understand that you are scared and you feel helpless but it IS animal abuse! You should move out of your parents house and take your dogs with you, if you can! If can not afford to live on your own, then at least get your dogs adopted by someone who can provide them with a safe and stable home, loves them, cares for them, and does NOT abuse them! Good luck.... 

If they will treat a dog like that, are you safe from abuse in your home?  Is he abusive to all of you?  They are loosers if they take it all out on the people & creatures they have around them.  Lack of respect for others.

Only thing is to keep the dog away from them.  Just do the best you can.

• Maxi

You already know your dad and brother are abusing the dogs and your mother/you by doing nothing to stop it and reporting them are allowing it to happen

Clearly your dad needs help.  Have a quiet chat to his GP if you can.   And if this gets seriously bad you can report him anonymously.

If worse comes to worse, get those dogs out of there.

• JimTom

This happens a lot, they need something to take their anger out on, and dogs are an easy target, it usually that or road rage. Its definitely abuse, its not as though the dogs are aggressive little terrors, so theres no need for this. He might go too far one day. Im not sure about an anonymous call, it might make him more mad at the dogs and give him something else to be angry about, but i dont know him. Just keep digging at him, tell him to stop over reacting, and leave them alone. Also you could mention that some people have noticed him abusing the dogs and are worried about his anger, it might make him re think. An anonymous call might be the answer, if he does get more angry, just call again, he cant defy authorities, especially if they come back to check after a 2nd reporting. I cant stand people who do this to animals

• mokrie

If you DON'T report them for animal abuse then you are also abusing those poor dogs. All they want is to be loved and instead they live in fear and you let it happen. Your cruel also.