Why is there affirmitive action in the fire Department ?

If my house was on fire I'd want the individuals putting out the fire to be experts at putting out fires, I wouldn't want them hired just because they weren't white, anyone who can't pass whatever tests they have to prove they're qualified for the job shouldn't be allowed to have the job! 

A few years ago during the "Freddy Gray riots" in Baltimore, a Black man with a knife "cut the fire hose" that was being used to extinguish a fire at a CVS.  I think that there should "only be" Black firefighters in neighborhoods like that one.

There isn't in my state.  However, that wasn't how affirmative action worked, when we had it.  Firefighters or public safety officers must all pass the same requirements.  Affirmitive action means seeking out diverse candidates and encouraging them to apply.

Personally, I haven't noticed any problem with the quality of our firefighters.

• ?

To counter the racism/sexism in the fire department.

But obongo said there is no discrimination against white Men he said its a conspiracy theory..

• ?

Because there IS systemic racism.

Because they're still systemic racism that has hindered growth and mobility 

Affirmative Action doesn't care if the people are not qualified or capable of doing the job, all the care about is placing minorities in good top notch jobs & sending the good qualified employees home.

Because nobody wants racist firemen driving away from a blaze if the homeowners who come running out aren’t white, and racists do stupid **** like that. 

Its a reasonable question.  Here is your answer.   And really this answers a lot about what kind of society do we want.  First you have to ask ok you may not like affirmative action but do you understand why those who want it do so?  Affirmative Action is meant to right some wrongs, to help undo some past injustice.  Let us presume that you had a city where white people were 50%, Blacks 20%, Hispanics, 20% and Asians 10%.    Let us further assume a fire department hires say 100 firefighters and 80 of them are white and 10 and of them are black 5 of them are hispanic and 5 of them are Asian. In this example, the only race that is well represented is the whites.

Decades ago, the law was pretty strict and enforced reasonably equal representation.  You mention fire fighters being qualified.  That is a good point. You are assuming that in my example that the other races were not qualified and that whites for some reason have a higher ability to be good firefighters.  More than likely this would be a BS excuse, a lie.  What is more likely the case is that the hiring practices are done in such a way to not give a fair chance to those who are not white.  Whoever is hired, whoever is trained no matter their color will learn how to fight fires.....its getting the chance that is the real issue.

Decades ago, it was likely that he city had a rule that there must be some sort of minimum percentage of representation that each race must have....not because that is what makes good firefighters but because the city cared about justice and fairness and wanted to correct past discriminations that had been going on. 

So in my example they  might have a minimum quota that at least 20% of firefighters must be black and 20% must be Hispanic and Asians must be represented as well.

I know you think there is something unnatural or forced about that, but the alternative is not have any  such rules and you have hiring discrimination go on with no punishment.  

Politics is basically deciding what problems we want to solve. Your politics says so what if the white want to discriminate. I say, discrimination is a problem and to fix that problem we are going to force people to be fair.  Your way society grows to be unjust as injustice is encouraged. My way we send the message, hey be nice to all people and be fair and just. I think my way leads to a better world.

I can easily summarize for you why Affirmative Action is needed. All you have to do is look at voter suppression. Voter Suppression is what happens when we just let the chips fall where they may and do not have a moral conscience.  So is discrimination.  Before the Voting Rights Act was destroyed, for decades we had barely any mention of voter suppression in the USA.  Then some went to court to kill it off saying there was no need for Voting Rights protection because there is no voter suppression going on.  Then as soon as the Supreme Court killed the Act, you began to see voter suppression in the USA like never before.  The Act was the conscience of the country saying we want to be just and fair to all citizens we want to be a decent country that upholds these values.   The killing of the ACT said, what you are saying, so what if people want to discriminate?

Because liberals.