Car restrictions in other states.?

I have a car, that is modified. Catless, loud, tinted windows, etc. If I was to visit a state, like California, with extreme restrictions, would my car need to meet their restrictions, just to visit? Even if I'm just visiting, for a few days? Example: I get pulled over for speeding. Would the officer be able to cite me for not having a road legal vehicle, per their state's vehicle requirements? 

8 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    Loud gets you stopped anywhere.  Full tint will be officer gun in your face, out and down spread-eagle.  Then cuffs until your car is searched and they get a clear comeback on wants and warrants.  Have fun.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    I never knew glass made noise but you say "loud tinted windows"?  Noise restrictions apply everywhere except on the farm and you are on a public road.

    . Give it a go and let us know the result of your adventures.


  • 2 months ago

    There is reciprocity for such things as vehicle registration and inspection requirements. If the vehicle in question has a valid safety inspection sticker on it and is still in compliance with the statutes governing what is legal and what is not legal in the state in which it is registered, it is not subject to a different standard because it is from out of state.

    How ever noise ordinances can fall into another area. Even a car that passes an vehicle inspection can be sited for violating a noise ordinance. So make sure if the city in question has a noise ordinance not to drive too loud!

    What you do need to check up on is how driving laws differ from state to state. Some things I could get away with in Nebraska are not legal in California. Some of the things legal in California are not legal in Nebraska.

    A fix it ticket out of state can some times be ignored, but not a ticket for a moving violation! So be careful. The officer might not be able to write a ticket for an illegal window tint, but one for an improper turn can be made to stick.

    California has a satiation for "exhibition of speed" and the police officers have written criterion on what is clearly a violation. It is the most common ticket written to drivers of performance cars in California. A loud exhaust just flags the officers that they have an easy mark for a exhibition of speed ticket.

  • 2 months ago

    Rent a car, then enjoy your visit to California. Drive your hotrod and you will get cited $$$$$. If you didn't know, now you know.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Nope. You are required to abide by the law of all states, provinces and countries you visit. It doesn't matter where the vehicle is registered. 

  • 2 months ago

    You are more likely to get pulled over due to local restrictions on exhaust noise.

    We are sick of that s h i t, like f-ing fireworks, and it's heavily enforced in my area.

    My city is pretty nice.  We warn you with big flashing orange signs, NOT allowed, as you enter the city.  The neighboring communities don't give you any pre-notice.

  • 2 months ago

    That depends entirely on which mods you have.  If it's a safety issue, like dark tints, you could be cited easily and it would stand in court.  You don't even need to be speeding, you can be stopped for that alone.

    Exhaust is a different matter, because those laws apply to vehicles registered in the state.  

    Noise violations are a different-different matter, because now you're adding municipal bylaws into the mix.  

  • Anton
    Lv 6
    2 months ago


    There are laws about what equipment is allowed on Californian roads.

    There is NO exceptions because your vehicle is allow in your State.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.