Bands That Don't /Didn't Seem to Have a Front Man/Woman?

Most bands seem to have front men/women (I.e Roger Daltrey of The Who, Ann Wilson of Heart).  Some groups don't/didn't appear to have one.  These are the bands who had more than one lead vocalist.  Can you think of others?

1  The Band (Robbie Robertson & Levon Helm)

2  Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Christine McVie)

3  The Eagles (nearly ALL members)

4  The Beatles (McCartney & Lennon alternated, with Harrison & Starr also contributing)

5  The Beach Boys (Carl Wilson Brian Wilson, Mike Love.   Al Jardine in "Help Me Rhonda")

6  Pink Floyd (Roger Waters, David Gilmour)

7.  Traffic (Dave Mason & Steve Winwood).

This list is about bands that had more than one lead vocalist simultaneously.  It does not include band that replaced lead singers (like Van Halen).

Then there are groups that had a front man, but had significant comtrubutions from a second lead vocalist.  

--Dennis DeYoung was the predominate lead man of Styx, but Tommy Shaw also had a fair number of singles ("Renegade", "Blue Collar Man").

--Ric Ocasik was the leader of The Cars, but Ben Orr did much of the singing.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Most groups that I've seen, in person or on tv, have more than one lead vocalist.

• 2 months ago

The Beatles are probably the most famous.

• Joe
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

The Cars: Ric Ocasek and Ben Orr

The Monkees: They all sang lead

Three Dog Night had two guys on lead

• 2 months ago

Earth Wind & Fire

Maurice White and Phillip Bailey

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Having multiple lead singers is normal. The Beatles, The Eagles, Crosby Stills, Nash and Young and even the Who often have different singers sing the lead. Pete Townshend often sang lead. John Entwistle sang lead in his song My Wife and even Keith Moon "sang" lead in a song on Quadrophrenia. All 4 Beatles have been lead singers. It is pretty rare that someone other than Mick Jaggar sing lead for the Stones, however. In fact many bands simply fell apart after their lead singer left the group (e.g. J. Geils Band and the Doors). Lead vocals is very important for most bands. Some bands however manage to keep going after replacing the lead singer (e.g. Van Halen and Chicago). 

That said, I have always had the impression that some bands treat the human voice as simply one of the instruments, no different than a piano or guitar, rather than the most important part of a song. One can often find it difficult to even make out what the singer is singing in some songs. Unfortunately, it is difficult to remember the names of some of those bands. The Ramones probably fit this category, as their songs do not really make the lead vocalist the front man of the group. Many heavy metal bands probably fit this category too but I am not a heavy metal fan so I cannot name them. 

• 2 months ago

Supertramp had Roger Hodgson ("Dreamer," "The Logical Song") and Rick Davies ("Bloody Well Right," "Ain't Nobody But Me").

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

The Temptations- 3 lead vocalists

Cream                - Eric Clapton- the nominal leader

- Jack Bruce did most of the singing

Blue Oyster Cult - 3 lead vocalists- Eric Bloom, Buck Dharma, Allen Lanier

• garry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

kraftwerk , singing or playing autobhan , pic what one of them looked like !!!

• 2 months ago

There's Walter Beckman and Donald Fagen. If only latter day pop music had less disco and more jazz. 

• 2 months ago

Kiss. Gene and Paul sang almost 50/50, with Peter handling the ballads and Ace doing a few also.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.