Anonymous

Can a person make enough money to pay their bills by working a PRN/as needed schedule?

I'm interviewing for a night PRN position at a hospital as a patient screener. I'm not sure if I'll get a lot of work hours every month because it's "as needed."  

I'm thinking about this job because I really want to work in a hospital and move up to other positions for what I went to school for. But it is PRN and I have bills to pay. 

• Alex

If you are the primary or sole provider for yourself or your home, then my opinion is that you should only take a job with a variable number of hours as a last resort to not having a job at all.  And then, I would consider taking a 2nd part-time job as backup (and quit the part-time job once I got a full time schedule).

How on earth would anyone here know how many hours they might need you or how much money you need to pay your bills?

?????