Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Should you get your dog neutered? ?

Somebody said it makes them more aggressive, is that true? 

• ?

If you can be responsible and watch your dogs every time they're outside so you can prevent unwanted pregnancies, no, that isn't necessary.  If you can't be responsible and don't want to give any thought to watching after your dogs to prevent unwanted pregnancies, yes.  My dog remained intact most of her life (until a medical issue made it medically necessary to spay her), and simply by watching her when she was outside during her times of being in heat she never ran off and never got pregnant.  (And living in 4 different locations I found the old warning of every male dog within miles showing up at the door when she's in heat was nothing more than a myth.  I never saw even one male dog.)  While a female dog is in heat only twice a year for roughly a month, a male dog can potentially run off at any time, so you do have to keep an eye on him all the time.  If you want to prevent unwanted puppy pregnancies but don't want to fully castrate a male dog, vasectomy is an available option.  Similarly, tubal ligation (tube tie) is available for female dogs.  That way they can enjoy all the hot sloppy they want without making a litter of puppies that you aren't able to care for.

No way  my Marley is a purebred Maltese 

That is absolutely not true. Let the dog grow up a bit (a year old at least unless you have a dog of the opposite sex in the house) and then get it done. 

LOL Some say neutering a male dog will make him less aggressive.  Some say it makes no difference in aggression.  Nobody says it will make him more aggressive.

• ?

1. Yes, if you don't want unwanted puppies

2. Quite the opposite, actually

Personal choice. However if you can't guarantee you can keep your intact animal from breeding then yes you should get them neutered (or spayed if you have a female) or at the very least wait until they've physically matured.  

It's a debatable topic like weight gain. All my dogs have been spayed/neutered. All my dogs have been their ideal weight. No it was not troublesome to keep them at their ideal weight. Don't be lazy.

Someone fed you the wrong information. or you are trolling this section.

• keerok

Not necessarily.

The imbalance of hormones can make them aggressive or very docile. It still depends on the dog, when it was neutered and how it was raised and trained.

• Matt

Made my dog stop humping other dogs at the park. Like a light switch. Stopped. No personality changes.

if your dog is male and overly excited and energetic then yes neutering can calm them down. Training can also calm them down.  It's not good to neuter a male dog until it is a year old.