can a restaurant be legally allowed to kick out a rude diner ?

like say a waiter kicking out a diner for not saying thank you or telling the waiter that their hair looks too messy

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Yes.  After issuing a reasonable request that the diners depart the premises NOT under the diner's control.  Refusal to do so would constitute criminal trespass which is an offense for which the diner could be arrested.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Restaurants are privately owned property, so, yes, a patron can be asked to leave for ANY reason.

• 2 months ago

Any business can refuse business to whomever they wish.  It is like the old saying goes:  "We reserve the right to refuse business to anyone"  A business can also hire who they want, and keep who they want as employees.  This is part of the "free enterprise" so common in our democracy.  If I was owner; and some diner copped an attitude to me.  I would clearly say "get the f*** out, and don't come back" .  That is my right; and I know there are better diners out there without attitude.  So let the rude diner take a hike; and get an attitude adjustment somewhere else.  

Source(s): Small business owner
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

In my jurisdiction, if the place is licensed to serve alcohol-they have really wide latitude to kick out objectionable people or impose a dress code. Obviously, the Yelp reviews would not be kind if a place went around kicking out people for trivial reasons. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Yes a restaurant can do that. The waiter will be fired rather quickly if they are kicking out diners, especially over something like that. However management can come over and tell you to leave.

• 2 months ago

Well I don't think those are bad enough to kick someone out but yes, a restaurant can legally kick out/refuse a rude customer. The police can be called to remove them. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The "private" in private property means they decide who is and is not trespassing.

• Kathy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If a diner is being really ruse, the waiter or waitress can say something to the manager, and the manager can have the diner removed.

• 2 months ago

A privately owned restaurant or any business should have the right to refuse you entry or kick you out for any reason they choose. It's their business. They can also endure the consequences of their actions if they are capricious. 

• Ian
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

You have NO RIGHT to be on someones' property if they do not wish you there. Stores and restaurants included.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.