Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 2 months ago

Is being bad at maths a sign of a low IQ? ?

Ok, had a conversation with a successful person whom I know, during the course of the conversation this person stated that if you’re bad at maths it’s a sign of low IQ. His argument was centred around the fact that maths is essentially logic, and if you have an average or above IQ you can easily do well. 

His argument made sense to me but it doesn’t align or reflect my experiences. I’m doing a master’s of business management at a leading university and have come first in two subjects and score highly in most other subjects that I have done (except stats where I barely passed).

I have always been shockingly horrible at maths (especially algebra, geometry, and stats) however, I am ok with financial equations. I even had to drop maths in the final year of high school due to how poorly I did and thus didn’t want it to go towards my final grade (yes, you can do this in Australia). 

Unbelievable, your IQ is obviously high, anyone can make an argument sound convincing, words are power. 

An IQ test is very subjective and is not the be all and end of of the measurement of intelligence. I am in no way bragging, but I am extremely intelligent, with the exception of math. I suck at math. So, he is wrong.

• F

No but being proud of it is.

• ?

no , iq means intellegence quote , remember high iq have better perception , better analysing and better maths .

It is a sign of bad textbooks.

Some people have excellent language skills but are "bad at math". 

I can sort of understand this, because I am very, very good at math (I am a theoretical physicist at a major University), but I don't really know where and how my math skills arise --- it's like I have a genie in my head who gives "me" (the conscious, language-using part of my brain) the math answers.  It's a useful trick, but I don't know how I do it.  One advantage is that it helps me do better-than-average in the stock market.  So if you're going into business, you need to be aware that there are people who are just a whole lot quicker with numbers and educated guesses about market moves than you are.

But in business, there are always jobs for people with good language and "people skills".  Also, in business, there is rarely a need for split-second numerical computation, you can take it slow and get it right (and perhaps hire a gifted accountant).

• R.j.

No it is not just have to practice more

Einstein is thought to have had a 160 IQ. And yet he has a famous quote: "Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater." He was bad enough at it that when he was a boy his teachers thought he wasn't trying. If memory serves he asked his colleagues to double check his math for him. So there's no true correlation between IQ and how good you are at math. And wasn't Richard Feynman supposed to only have a 126 IQ because he wasn't so good at "English"?

Nope, some geniuses(IQ 140 and up) are terrible at math.

Your IQ is basically the Speed At Which You CAN Take In Info.

And it can be higher, and lower depending on the subject, but also time of day,   individual health, if you've been busy, or rested, and so on.

So being bad at math says little about your IQ.

• David

Of course not because some of the best mathematicians aren't 100% good at maths.