what ever happened to the 8 hour work day?

What happened to the days you go to work and work 8 hours and you punch out. I work for UPS I work 5 days  a week 10 to 12 hours a day against my will.I get paid of course.I was told in collage we live in a 8 hour work day society and it will never change.emplyers need to bring back the 8 hour day.

wont let me go back and correct changes on my spelling

• L

UPS has the right to increase your hours if they are busier......and right now, is an extremely busy season.  Suck it up - Buttercup.

You chose a field in which overtime is unavoidable. You're also well compensated for those overtime hours. If you don't like it, just quit and go elsewhere. There are thousands who would take your job in a heartbeat. 

• Rita

Post Civil War and Labor

In 1866, the National Labor Union (which is now defunct) asked Congress to pass a law to mandate an eight-hour workday. While the measure failed to pass in Congress, it was the beginning of the end for unchecked labor.

• ?

I used to have 9 +  hour work days, Monday to Friday. Business has been slower then usual so our hours are getting shorter, 7 + hrs a day. At least your getting payed.

It's not against your will, unless you don't want to work the hours they give you. No one is making you work there. You chose to take the job. 

I was never told that in college. 

Not all work places have 8 hour work days, some businesses work longer hours. 8 hr work days are usually meant for office jobs or jobs that are not general labor jobs. 

If you don't want the job then start looking for jobs that have shorter working days. 

An eight-hour day made sense when jobs were uniform, predictable and there wasn't a pandemic going on, or some other crisis. You have to adapt yourself and your environment to what is happening in the world. No one works "against their will". They either work, or they don't. Employers are just adapting to the conditions they are faced with, and so should you. 

You don't work "against my will".

You work 10 to 12 hours a day because it's the choice you have made to keep your job.

I have a bachelors and masters degree from a top universities.  We never discussed how long the work day would be.

You are free to find a job that is only 8 hours day.  There are many out there. 

• ?

What happened was employers killed the unions that used to advocate for good working conditions.

I am a advocate on the 8 hour work day and thats the way it should be,My college professor in business said thats the way the world operates and will never change.

The words are 'college' and 'employers'.  Useful words that you might want to learn how to spell.  Those of us that want something more than minimum wage jobs work 10 to 12 hour days.  Welcome to the real world.

You are not working 10 to 12 hours a day against your will.  You can quit anytime you want.