Why Do Older/Experienced Drivers Bully Young Drivers? ?

I am from the UK, I am 21 going 22 next week and I have driving alone since the age of 19 (started lessons at the age of 17).

I do not understand why older/experienced drivers think it is ok to take everything out on/bully young drivers.

After I passed my driving for the first time at the age of 19, I had a P plate on my car for 6 weeks until my confidence, I got horned by a woman driver as I went into the wrong lane( I did check my mirrors)and then I got horned again by another woman on that day I was getting freaked out and upset, I tried to apologise to her but she doesn't care and as I was trying to find a parking space in a multi-store car park I accidentally went into a parked car (it was no damaged)and this woman saw me getting upset and she calms me down. She explain to me that these two women should never horned at you even tho you have recently passed your driving test.  

Last year ago (I was 20)I got bullied by a woman driving in a range rover while she had two young kids in the car with her, this was during the school run and this was after I drop my sister off at school. 

When I doing my driving lessons I had people overtake me while I was doing a good speed limit and also tailgating, they even do it to me in this present day, and plus I have got a black box in my car. From now I just ignore them now and dont look at them. 

I just dont understand why they are doing this, even in front of the kids.

I always check my mirrors, using judgemental on the roundabout whenever if it is safe to go and go on correct lanes. 

The key to driving is to assume everyone else driving around you is an idiot and trying to kill you. Obey the laws and rules of the road and ignore all the morons who are in a rush to go nowhere and you'll be fine. Then it'll be the road raged idiots who get pulled over and fined, not you.

I have a lot I'd like to tell you but there isn't room.  

Please understand that there is a difference between your INTENTIONS, and how you ACTUALLY DRIVE.  

1.  "I got horned by a woman driver as I went into the wrong lane( I did check my mirrors)"  

2.   "I got horned again by another woman on that day I was getting freaked out and upset, I tried to apologise to her but she doesn't care"  

3.  "as I was trying to find a parking space in a multi-store car park I accidentally went into a parked car (it was no damaged)and this woman saw me getting upset and she calms me down."  

READ what you wrote!  

1.  You went into the wrong lane!  The result was a horn.  Did the horn injure you?  Or it injured your pride??  

2.  You were "getting freaked out and upset" (an emotional catastrophe).  The result was a horn.  Did the horn injure you?  Or you got shocked into reality??  

3.  You struck a parked car!  Why is this ok?  The parked car wasn't moving.  Only YOU were moving!  

Overtaking (speeding) and tailgating are dangerous tactics of unsafe, impatient drivers.  You have a right to complain about it, but don't be pushed into a bad situation because of it.  

The bad drivers will keep on being bad drivers.  Just improve your driving and your response to their bad driving.

• garry

maybe there old fools , they think they own the road and younger drivers think they own the road , car driving is a privelige not a right .. if everyone followed the road rules then there would be no hassles .

In the first 2 examples you provided, the answer is because that's not bullying.  You f**ked up and got honked at, which is a normal reaction.  New driver or not, you're expected to know and follow the rules of the road when you drive.

No you don't always check your mirrors and go on correct lanes, because if you did you wouldn't have attracted negative attention.  You're young, you said so yourself, so let me give you some free advice and I truly hope you heed it.

Up until driving, your life really has been all fun and games.  You've been told that doing your best is good enough, you've been given credit just for trying hard (in many cases just for showing up), and you've been led to believe that people will accept you just as you are.  I'm really sorry to say this, but that was all bull shift.  You're in the grownup world when you drive, and your actions and decisions will be judged very harshly.  You don't even get a free pass because you're new at it.  You just moved from the playground to the jungle, so you'd better understand how it works, because the rules of the playground don't apply in the jungle.  The laws of the jungle are the only rules that matter now.

When you're driving, nobody cares how hard you try.  The only thing that matters in the jungle is life or death, and people really do die in traffic accidents.  Make one little mistake, miss one little detail, misjudge one vehicle's speed or distance, and somebody might literally die.  No try-again, no reset button, no free pass of any kind, just a sudden and very grisly death.  That's how serious this driving stuff really is, and it's the #1 killer of people in your age group by a very wide margin.

That's because you don't have enough experience to drive like a normal human being yet. Turn your cell phone off and pay attention!

• Anton

Truth:

SOME Older/Experienced Drivers Bully Young Drivers

SOME Young Drivers Bully Older/Experienced Drivers

Bullies can be any age.

As young, you don't notice the young drivers.

You checked your mirrors and then pulled into the wrong lane and can't figure out why you got "horned?"  Amazing!  And then you "accidentally went into a parked car" and don't think you are a careless, reckless driver?

I have NO idea what "using judgemental on the roundabout" means.  Driving in the correct lanes, by the way, is a law, not a character recommendation.

You went into the wrong lane and were surprised that someone made sure you knew they were there already?

Then you hit a car and were surprised someone was not nice?

STOP DRIVING ON PUBLIC ROADS UNTIL YOU ARE ABLE TO DRIVE SAFELY!

• not

One of two things will likely happen: you'll learn to be a great driver and be one of the mad people or you won't learn and you'll be a bad driver always blaming others. 

Many people are at odds with other drivers. Young people driving are not the target. I actually refrain from being upset with the young screw ups. I'd like to legislate more driver training. Extensive driver training. Required driver training after an incident. I'd like to see a system where some people are proven to not be skilled enough to drive because those people exist and are driving, a menace to society. Every city mile I drive I see at least one traffic infraction. Blocking intersection, running stop sign, running a light, no signaling, passing in shoulder, really you just name it. Texting or intoxicated driving constantly; people are all over the road because they are distracted. The idea that people who get upset are without patience and commiting road rage is interesting. I exercise patience for this all day everyday, I am a constant victim of bad drivers and exercising patience. One day my defensive driving may fail me and the bad driver will cause my death or injury. Shouldn't I be upset? But get upset and you are the problem. 

Just continue your driving education and be good at it so you are not the problem. Nobody intends to improve this. Everyone is entitled to drive.