Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Should I tell my parents my brother is gay?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Absolutely not. That is your brother's private information to share or not to share. It is strictly none of your business. Getting involved where you should NOT be involved will end up with nothing but hurt, and could result in real disaster.

Attempts to run or interfere with people's relationships with other people are NEVER a good idea. Let people do their own talking, and don't get between them and others.  Most of us have enough trouble running our own lives, let alone someone else's too.

There are very rare times when some deep-dark secrets must be told. All of these involve keeping people safe in some way, for example in cases that involve abuse, suicide, victimization, or other great harm. What you describe, though, does not sound at all like one of these cases.

Finally, if you have a chunk of information you're thinking of use against your brother, please don't. Become someone worth his trust instead. That's a rare commodity these days.

• 2 months ago

Absolutely not. I know someone that did this and the Mother was furious with the person that told her and has never really forgiven them. She quite rightly thought that it was a betrayal of her son and his privacy for this person to tell her. So no, keep your nose out of your brother's life.

• 2 months ago

Absolutely not because that's your brother decision to make on wanting to come out to mom and dad.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's not your place. It's his.  Only he gets to decide when or even whether to do it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

According to Michelle's Method TM, you should out him so that you do not force straight women to endure pointless relationships with a closeted gay. It is better for him so that he can come to the realization that he is gay and live an open life free of personal judgment. Denial and self-hatred have led many gay and bisexual men down dangerous paths with sex addiction and drugs, not normal behaviors amongst self-affirming, self-respecting, and open gay and bisexual people. Unless there is a risk of homelessness, verbal abuse, or violence, outing is the better choice. It is only fair to the gay community that closeted gay people come out of the closet and join them. Hiding is never the answer. 

• 2 months ago

Not unless you want to get beaten to death by your brother, you worthless homophobic pos

• Dee
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I’m sure they already know, your Mother for sure but leave that up to your brother to tell them. It’s his life and he’ll let all be known when he’s ready to reveal it. Good luck 

• Raja
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

What is the idea behind in telling your parents that your brother is gay. It is his way of life . Far better to mind your own business .

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No. They probably know anyway since parents KNOW their kids better then the kids think. But it's not your place to say anything. It's your brother's decision if he wants to tell them or not.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Ask your brother. If he wants you to, sure. If not, no. It doesn't matter if he told you or you found out some other way. This is something for him to work out how to do. If he wants your help, then fine. If not, leave it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.