? asked in SportsBaseball · 2 months ago

Does a 3-2-1 play ever happen in baseball?

Bases loaded, the first baseman throws to catcher for the force out, and had to come so far off the bag that the pitcher has to cover first?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It could happen.  One could imagine a slow ground ball towards 1st base with the infield in.  1st baseman charges, fields, throws home for a force-out, and the pitcher runs over to cover 1st and complete a double play.

There are also more bizarre ways it could happen.  For instance, bases empty, sharp grounder to 1st, it bounces off the 1st baseman and caroms back to the catcher, and the pitcher covers first for the putout.  I don't think I've ever seen that.  I've seen a 1-2-3 (line drive hits the pitcher, bounces back to the catcher, to 1st for an out).

• 2 months ago

Theoretically possible but highly improbable.  For a first baseman to have to come that far off the bag to not get back after fielding and throwing, it is highly probable that the return throw from the catcher to the pitcher covering would not arrive in time. A bang-bang play, where the first baseman barely has to move, results in a 3-2-3 double play

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Mostly likely scenario for that to happen is for a batter to bunt down the first base line and the 1B having to charge the ball, while the pitcher comes over to cover first.

• 2 months ago

With the current trend of wacky shifts its possible

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Kyle
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

unless the first basemen was between the pitcher mound and catcher box, i would think the runner at the plate would beat out the relay throw and make first.  

i don't recall one though.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.