Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 2 months ago

Why do drivers go over the legal speed limit?

• 6 days ago

Drivers go beyond the legal speed limit to compete with each other..

Dad lets me drive slow on the driveway. But not on Monday, definitely not on Monday.

That's a fair enough question, and there are a few reasons.

First, speed limits are too low.  Like the other answer said, they were set decades ago when cars had no airbags, inferior braking systems, and seat belts were optional just about everywhere.  

Second, it can actually be safer.  If the majority of regular traffic is doing 15 km/h over the limit and you're driving at the posted limit, you're at greater risk of being involved in a crash.

Third, because driving faster is more fun and gets you where you're going sooner.  That's a win-win all the way around.

Fourth, because we usually get away with it.  Even if cops are out looking for speeders, a) they can only ticket one out of every 150 vehicles doing it and b) they usually pick the most flagrant offenders out of the crowd.  If a cop clocks you at 25 over the limit and then spots me doing 30 over while zipping in and out of lanes and tailgating other vehicles, I'm getting stopped and ticketed and you're getting away scot-free.  That's why I make sure I'm never the craziest sumbitch on the road.

And even if I do get caught, which I have, it's just a ticket and a couple of naughty-naughty points.  Nobody does 20 years in the Don't Drop The Soap Hotel for speeding, you just pay the fine and be done with it.  As long as you don't get caught often, your life isn't really affected.

Maybe they are in a hurry.  Maybe it's a death wish.

• F

Because the speed limits are out of date and too low in most cases. They were set in the 60s when cars had terrible brakes and steering.

Now there seems to be a move to even lower limits for environmental reasons and to make shared road space, for cyclists to ride 4 abreast and so idiots glued to their phones can walk into the road without being killed. 

The most ridiculous “environmental” speed limit is on the A40 in West London.

A section running between Heathrow airport ( one of the busiest in the world) and RAF Northolt (which as well as an RAF base, caters for private jets ), has a 40 mph limit to “reduce emissions”.

Do the people who think this up, gave any concept of irony?

Generally because they're impatient and in a hurry.

• k w

they're all in a hurry, it's all over, just stay to the right and always check mirrors for traffic.......

• Jay P

Why do trolls post anonymously on Yahoo?

Because they get away with it.  For most places, the speed limit is too low.

• Anton

For safety.  It is unsafe to drive far under the speed of traffic.