Is it still possible to get a well hand-dug as opposed to drilled?

Hello,

I know that in this day and age most local welling companies drill not dig wells. However, let's say someone likes the old dug wells with the bucket, and they contact a local company, would they still be able to get it done?

Thanks!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Nobody hand digs a well by hand for two reasons.  Shallow water is filthy.  Any depth past you waist can and does cave in and kill you.  ALL well companies drill - not most.

• 2 months ago

My well is 180ft deep.

Would you want to dig that deep?...By hand?

You can still buy hand drills that with every turn you pull out 1 cubic foot of soil. It has extension rods where you can go as deep as the soil hardness allows. Where I live you can get to water at around 15 to 20ft.  But the water would only be good for watering the lawn or garden.

Back in the day when the 'old dug wells with the bucket' was used the upper ground water was not polluted like it is today.

Plus the upper ground water has a lot of gypsum in it.....Very hard water. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Sure (depending on water tables, soil condition, etc), but the cost would be tremendous. Most wells are drilled because the drill can go deeper, to better water (no surface pollutants) and have enough capacity to not run dry. 

• y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Water table is what dictates that, then of curse a company that handles that sort of work.  If it is anymore then 12/15 feet or so, they probably won't go there.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Well, first you would need to determine how deep you need to dig.  You have to dig to a strata of sand.  The ground water is in the pores of the sand, not in tight clay soils.  Now, in most areas, especially that have been farmed or ranched for the past hundred years, that first strata of sand is polluted.  Cow poop, e coli, fertilizer, etc.  present a pollution problem.   But, that might not be your case.  You might be on a hill side that if you dig a few feet, you could have an artesian well of pure spring water.  So, you can see there are permitting issues.  The state probably requires a permit regardless of the type of well.  But as far as getting it dug,  get a concrete foundation guy with a pier driller or a back hoe.  They should be able to dig 25 feet mechanically and pour you retaining wall to prevent collapse of the wall.   After that you have OSHA regulations to send some diggers down into a hole. Which probably means you would have to dig it yourself.  You might check around and see how wells are dug in some parts of the world.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I doubt it. Health and Safety regulations are rather tighter these days that no commercial company would touch it without a huge premium.

• 2 months ago

No one does that, but i guess you could dig your own. Also, they are dangerous. You could fall in and die. Most old open wells have been filled or covered for that reason. We had an old open well on our property that was over 50ft deep. We had a concrete cover poured over it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Costly - and only practical with very shallow wells . . . . most new wells today are too deep and must be drilled.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.