Electrical?

what happens to the current when the voltage increases? Does the current increase too or decrease?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Voltage and current are related by Ohm's law which is V=IR. So, if the load (resistance if it's a resistive load, impedance if there are reactive elements ) remains the same, we have I=V/R which means that if the voltage increases the current increases and vice versa.

• 2 months ago

micro switch limit switch manufacturer

https://bit.ly/34uIgFp

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It depends on what the load is. 

If the load resistance is fixed and purely resistive, then the load current will increase with increased voltage.

• 2 months ago

One of the more common examples of a load that does not follow ohms law when changing the input voltage is a switch mode power supply (SMPS).  A lot of the modern wall worts are of this type.  They will draw less current as the voltage increase such that the input power (E*I) remains about the same. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • D g
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

it depends on the device ..   a purely resistive device will  do that  but there are many other devices that  act oddly

• 2 months ago

If the resistance/impedance is linear it will increase.

If it is a GUNN diode (negative resistance) the current will decrease.

• qrk
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Depends on the circuit.

The textbook answer for school is current will increase if voltage increases. This assumes a resistive load. I = E/R (Ohm's law) shows this.

Some circuits draw constant power, thus, current will decrease when voltage increases. You'll find this behavior with switching power supplies.

• 2 months ago

usually, in a linear circuit, current will increase. There are a few exceptions involving negative resistance.

• John
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I=E/R  Current increases, Volts increases. Ohms Law.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.