How can so many people afford these $800 to $1,200 flagship smartphones?

I have these friends of mine.  They keep telling me how poor they are and how they are just getting by, and yet they all have late-model iPhones.

I see this all the time.  And these people keep upgrading their phones every couple of years.

The last 2 phone I've had, I've paid $120 new and $83 used.  And that's with tax and activation charges.  They were budget model LG phones and do everything I need them to.  Phone calls, texting, GPS, apps, everything.

• ?

Now you know why they’re poor. 

Pretty obvious, really.

• F

Priorities. Get the latest phone but moan that you can feed your kids ,

• ?

Maybe they pay it monthly?

i currently have 5c iphone....i saved up many years and will be purchasing the 12 pro. Ill have that for many years also. 

• ?

put it this way , i have a $50 phone , its calls and answers , what else do you need , not shallow like the other people , is a realist and cares about spending , not like the fools who spend $1,000 on a phone , a fashion statement .

Chances are, their phone were financed like what P had said.

But if they paid full retail price, then it is possible they had set aside a small amount of money over time and a couple years later, they saved up more than enough. 

• ?

Phones are usually sold on payment plans and most people can afford $30 a month for a good smart phone.  Considering many people will use it more than anything else they own it's not that much of a stretch to buy something really nice that will improve their everyday use\lifestyle.   There's an old saying "Spend your money where you spend your time".     If you are not a power user or spend most of your time on other devices it is probably a waste of money.    Personally those cheap phones, while functional, take too long to load anything and for me it's well worth it to have a device that can get what I want nearly instanously.  

They live beyond their means.

They finance them for 2 to 3 years.  

Carrier financing.  $1000 over 24 months is more affordable

• Matt

People think that an expensive iPhone is an essential