Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Dining OutOther - Dining Out · 2 months ago

What are some ways to ensure hotel guests attend breakfast?

I mean a free breakfast that comes with the price of the room.

Thanks, Kate.

• ?

While guests cannot be forced to attend breakfast, they can be encouraged by making sure the food is good, plentiful, well presented and well promoted. Also that it is available early enough for those with flights to catch or meetings to get to.

As others have said, promotion (with hours listed) is key. However, there are three key reasons for me personally. The first is that most breakfasts have hours that are not conducive with what Im doing. If I leave my room early at 7, breakfast isn't ready. If I sleep in and wake at 11, its almost too late. Second reason is supply. If I am not there right when it starts, there isn't a lot left. Third, a lot of the breakfasts are cold breakfasts, I don't want a bowl of cereal and a wrapped muffin. I'll just walk across the street.

Advertising, hours, quantity, quality.

I would put those small signs in the rooms saying "Free Breakfast 7-11AM" just in case the guests forgot or didn't know.

Personally, I don't bother cause I don't eat breakfast, plus don't want to mingle with other hotel guests.

As a hotelier you actually want as few people to come as possible to maximize profits

You can't force people to eat breakfast. I can tell you this, from extensive traveling, that most people will eat finger foods--the kind they serve at what Americans call the "Continental Breakfast"-- if they are free. That would include granola bars, yogurts, pieces of fruit and sweet rolls, muffins or bagels with packages of jam, jelly or cream cheese; coffee and tea and maybe even small individual boxes of cereal and juices.   If they can grab something to eat on the run, they will. If they have to attend a sit-down breakfast in a restaurant setting, they may or may not--and most won't. 

When I traveled in England, a hotel I stayed in had a large breakfast buffet included in the price of the room. Mostly, the room was empty, though the hotel was fully booked. I ate that breakfast because to my mind, I'd already paid for it--but only two days of the five I stayed there--because I had other things I wanted to do in the mornings. 

Individually packaged free foods are far more likely to get eaten, especially if the hotel has a lot of shorter-term guests. And it helps to also have places to sit and eat. No one wants to stand in a lobby, even if there are free muffins. 

• garry

why dont you give a discount on your fees and see who wants to pay for breakfast , i dont eat breakfast so why pay for it ..

• denise

Make sure the breakfasts are of good quality and tasty / worth the money.

• ?

There's no way, because all guests do not want hotel breakfast.

• Rick

close the in-house restaurants early .......................... 

Make their stay cheaper.

Everyone will come if theyre saving money.

Also offer foods everyone cant turn down. 😊 Meaty.

Some country fried steak. Bacon. Sausage. Ham. The works.

🥴 Pastries and cereals ONLY wont cut it.