What is the average age of a fanfiction writer?

I wrote some as a preteen. I'm in my 20s now and am enjoying writing some in my spare time. Is this unusual? 

I wrote it into my 30's then switched to cartooning. 

Not even a little unusual. I'm a commercially published author and know others. Quite a few of them still enjoy writing fanfic and post it, mostly at AO3. Their ages range from, at a guesstimate, about 30 to around 70.

My first novel was originally the worst kind of fanfic, for the record. I scrubbed away the source material completely.

• Zac Z

I am not intimately familiar with the fan fiction scene but I don't think you'll find stats as I doubt that information is even available.

I remember that E. L. James's Fifty Shades books originated as fan fiction. I just looked up the relevant info on her Wiki page and they have a quote of her saying that she "discovered Fan Fiction in August 2009" at which point she had been 46.

Now, I doubt that this is the average age of fan fiction writers but you don't have to feel bad for writing fan fic at your age.

While, personally, I'm not particularly interested in fac fiction I don't see anything wrong with it (as long as you don't break any laws, of course). I guess, it's a valid path to acquire some writing experience if you plan to become a (published) writer at some point. And if you're doing it just for fun, that's also great!

• Amber

It's a hobby an there's no problem with it. People can write whatever they want to. It's not for serious writers really as you do need to create your own content. I'm 30 now and still write, just not fanfiction.