What does it mean when someone says that a 24 year old man acts like an old man? ?

• T J

He is very mature, and he thinks, has sense.

They are probably saying that the guy is no fun to be around.

Having once been accused of being a 22-year-old "old woman," here's what my one-time roommate Carlos meant. (I know because I asked him. He was a jerk, for the record.)

Someone accused of acting like they're elderly may be cautious, unwilling to rush into anything, whether it's a relationship, an investment, a change in residence, or trying a new activity or sport. They may have undue or perfectly reasonable concern about getting hurt, either physically or emotionally. They have high regard for the long-term consequences of their actions and an ability to see the Big Picture that their peers can't. They value security and safety over adventure and risk.

Now that I *am* an old woman, I see what he meant, but I'm not a bit sorry to have been that way.

Why don't you ask the person who told you that, dude, instead of asking us what some stranger meant?

It can mean a variety of things. Here's an idea: when someone says something like that and you don't know what that someone meant by it, just ask that someone instead of asking complete strangers who weren't even there and so can't possibly know anything more than what you yourself say.