Rick asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 months ago

How do I approach this social situation?

I am attending a anime/cosplay meetup on Monday. If at a bar and grill. I'm usually a pretty quiet person. I don't want to seem rude by being quiet I just need time to get adjusted to a new place and new people. I plan on bringing my switch to keep me busy. I just don't know what to do to not offend anyone.

Whip ur switch out and say”check this out”!

i would just be friendly

You'll fare better socially if you leaving your Switch at home. 

Walk up to people and introduce yourself is the logical thing to do in this situation.  Don't bring your Switch™  to a "social situation."

• drip

You would  be more rude playing a game by yourself than to be quiet and be listening and attentive to others.

• Cogito

Playing a game at any social event is terribly bad manners and will NOT help you adjust at all.  People will see what you're doing and think how rude and uneducated you are.  If you want to go - go and join in.  Talk to people.  Mix.

If you can't do that, don't go at all.

Start by stop lying to yourself.  Bringing and playing your switch won't help you get used to a new place and new people, it will serve to distract you apart from them.  But perhaps playing the games relaxes you, and if so great, but instead I suggest arriving early and playing your games just before the even begins so you are more relaxed to engage with others when people arrive.  

Allow yourself to stay calm and enjoy the experience.  Make eye contact, engage in casual conversation and ensure not to use your Switch too much if you want to be amongst the people around you.