Rick asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 3 months ago

What do I do when start ing weight lifting. ?

I'm starting in 2 days and need to know what I need to do to start. Like weights to start out with and how to warm up.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

according your ability you do that

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Pick a good beginner program. I personally did stronglifts and I liked it. Starting strength and fierce five are some other good ones. 

You start with an empty bar and focus on form. Either hire a trainer or look up instructions and videos of proper form. Take video of yourself and compare. 

To warm up you start with light weight and progressively lift heavier until you hit your working weight. 

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

What you need to do is shell out $25 to $50 for a personal trainer to work with you the first day to help you evaluate what your goals, to look at you and see where you are now, to help you come up with a plan to get you from where you are now to your goal, and set you up with a routine that he guides you through that first day, showing you what exercises, figuring out how heavy a weight for lifting for each lifting exercise and each set and how many sets, and figuring out what stretches, warmups, and cardio you should be doing based on what he sees. Also, he will advise you on how often you should be doing that routine.

You may wish to schedule a second session because it's quite likely that he will want you to alternate the routine you and he have come up with together with another routine, a routine that focuses on different different muscle groups and/or different goals, which optimizes your weight-lifting by giving those muscle time to recuperate, which is when they grow back stronger and/or bigger, depending on if you're objective is to lift for bulk or tone. Having two routines that you alternate generally makes your progress twice as fast.

He will also advise you on diet issues, especially advising you on what and when you should be eating before weightlifting to make sure you have the carbohydrates for energy and the protein you need for muscle growth to achieve your goals. Weightlifting requires an extraordinary amount of both, more than you might think and a huge mistake weightlifters who haven't sought guidance do is short themselves on both and end up getting frustrated and quitting because they don't see progress and because they are forced to stop because they hit a wall where they're just too exhausted to finish their routines. But you want to time your consumption of all those carbs and proteins so that they provide you peak energy while you're doing your weightlifting and then are burned off and used. Otherwise, you may fail to have the energy and muscle building materials when you need them but have them sitting in your system when you don't, so you won't get stronger and/or bigger but will make yourself fat.

After you've been set up with a routine. You don't need the trainer to work with you through your routines anymore. So this is only a one or two time expense-- EXCEPT, after six weeks to two months, you may wish to schedule another session, especially if you've been pleased with your results. That's because after you've been doing a routine for a while, you plateau and stop making process, so you will want him to evaluate your progress, reevaluate your routine, and adjust it so that you continue towards your goals.

Rich people use personal trainers every time they weightlift or exercise. If you have the money, have at it. Normal people use personal trainers to set themselves up at the beginning and then once every couple months or once every quarter to give them new marching orders for the next couple months or quarter. That's how you make sure all that time you're investing in weightlifting is well-invested and going to give you the best pay-off.

It really isn't that expensive when you consider how much time and energy you intend to put into weightlifting. With that huge of a time investment, you want to make sure you're getting the most bang for your buck. If you divide out the cost of using a personal trainer in the manner I described, in the manner most people do, it generally in the long-run ends up being less than $1 for every hour you spend in the gym doing what they advise you to do.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.