What will an MBA with a concentration on healthcare management lead up to, career wise? Will it matter that my undergrad isn’t medical? ?

My undergrad degree is in business administration, I decided to go to a well respected university for my MBA and will likely do a concentration on healthcare management, is this a wise choice? 

2 Answers

Relevance
  • John
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I'm not personally familiar with the health care industry, and cannot give specific advice to that sector.  

Regarding an MBA in general, however, be sure to do your own research. Its true that there are 77% more MBA grads than a decade or 2 ago.  At least prior to the pandemic-fueled recession, however, there was no glut of unemployed MBAs. In 2019, 92% of MBA grads were employed full-time.   

• 1 month ago

Probably not a good idea. 

1. A lot of hospital management positions are restricted to professionals in the field, e.g. Director of Nursing must be an experienced nurse (plus additional qualifications). Without some healthcare/medical-related background, hospitals & other medical facilities are generally reluctant to consider such applicants. 

2. Also, with the glut of MBAs on so many markets, employers disdain applicants with back-to-back bachelor's + MBA, especially BBA + MBA due to excessive duplicative content. They only want proven performers with 3-5 years experience in their undergraduate field in progressively more responsible positions with employers' recommendations as prospective managerial-executive talent. 

3. With the glut of MBAs on markets, many people have turned to healthcare management, which is now glutted with newly minted wannabes with no experience, especially no experience or background in healthcare.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.