Is my gold wedding band the same after repair? ?

My grandmother passed away a few years ago and I inherited her gold wedding band. This piece is very sentimental as I had a close relationship with my grandmother. I recently took the ring in for a repair as it was cracked. A few days later i received the ring. It now looks like new and much shinier. I feel like it's no longer the same ring and has been altered. 

• T J

It was only repaired and cleaned up.

You answered your own question: it was cleaned and repaired. Perhaps you are disappointed that it doesn't look the same as it did, but too late now.

It has, It was changed.

When repairing the crack, the metal was "worked", the patina was cleaned away.

The patina is the "Life spirit" of the metal.

What did you expect? It's the same ring, repaired and polished. Your grandmother wore it during her lifetime, but you decided to have it repaired, presumable so that you can wear it.

The ring isn't your grandmother. Your grandmother lives in your memory. The ring can still remind you of her. Wear it in good health, and let it bring back the memories.

• g

It was repaired, so no it's not "the same." Jewelers/goldsmiths usually polish rings after repairs. It'll become scratched/worn again with use.

you should have asked their process if it was that important to you to keep it original. you should call and ask as soon as possible.

this is my assumption, but if it was CRACKED it's likely a new band.

• drip

It probably would of looked shiny and new just from a cleaning.

What was cracked? It wasn’t altered just repaired and cleaned.

• James

Its been restored so no it isn't the same. You should have left it the way it was if you liked how it looked before. Anyway, it's still representative of your grandma and you will always think of her when you see it so I would just be happy to have something to remember her with