Anonymous

Why do some grad schools mandate a 3.0 GPA or dismissal?

So I've noticed that some US graduate school programs (MAs) require their students to maintain a 3.0 or else they'll face automatic dismissal. I have a child who is looking toward grad schools as a possibility as he finishes college in a couple years. And one program he's looking at requires a 3.0 or it's a dismissal.

Is a 3.0 minimum (for social sciences, like political science, public policy, intl relations, and the likes) realistic at the graduate level?

• MS

Graduate students are expected to maintain high academic standards. If a student cannot maintain all As and Bs at that level, then they are not considered graduate school material.  And some programs are even more strict.  All of the graduate programs in my department allow only 2 Cs to be earned over the course of the program; any more than that and students are automatically dismissed, regardless of overall GPA. 

every degree has a threshold for earning it. High school diploma needs usually a 2.0 (C) but some states even allow 1.0 (D). An undergrad degree depends on the degree but usually it's around 1.7 (C-), I used this as a reference https://lsa.umich.edu/lsa/academics/majors-minors/... , and masters degree you need above a 3.0 everywhere I've heard of. 

Why do they have these cutoffs? Because stumbling through your way to the end isn't meaningful. They award degrees to students who have demonstrated they have a threshold competency in the topics they studied. This is measured by grades at these levels. 

Just like undergraduate universities, grad schools are ranked by comparing the number of students who start and subsequently finish, so recruiting successful students helps a school keep their own "grades" up too. 

At graduate levels, anyone who cannot maintain a GPA above 3.0 is not grad school material. Grad school is for the best & brightest, people who perform at high levels. For graduate levels, even earning a grade of C in a required course can merit academic probation despite a GPA above 3.0. Most grad schools will not consider applications for admission without a minimum GPA of 3.25 (or higher) for their undergraduate degree. Is your child a top performer as an undergrad so far? If not, grad school might not be in his future.

• John

I have never seen a Masters program which did not require students to maintain a 3.0 minimum GPA.

• drip

In high school a D is a passing grade.  As an undergrad under a C- is considered failing. At some school under a C is failing.  At the graduate school the stakes are raise even more.  The academics demand more of a student. Earning the degree demands more. 

I have never gotten anything other than an A in graduate level classes, which includes my doctorate, two completed Master’s degrees plus prerequisite classes for each, plus two classes I took in education technology. If you cannot get an A in most graduate classes, you really shouldn’t be there. If you cannot at least muster a B, you seriously are in the wrong place.