Should I buy a $600 computer if I know nothing about it ?

It comes with Microsoft word and has a lot of memory and a word processor

That is all I need

I never use the internet for anything other than web surfing and typing

The only thing is since it’s not an Apple computer it might have a higher chance of viruses 

Many high quality new ones are available for less. Check ads from places such as Bestbuy or officemax. And Libreoffice is a free wordprecessor.

no. I got a laptop at walmart for $300.. it does everything I need it to do minus microsoft office. Even though I dont have microsoft office I can use google's free drive to edit my resumes and create new ones. Covid 19 shut down public libraries and i REALLY needed a computer to edit my stuff and create resumes. it was either this $300 laptop or a cheaper one. I could have went for the cheaper one since it could basically create and edit resumes as well, but to be honest I wanted to watch youtube. It would not have been able to handle more than 3 or 4 tabs open with youtube. A $600 computer could probably play basic games like fortnite. I can barely start fortnite on this laptop. i tried.

Yes, you can buy in $600.

• garry

same as buying a hand grenade , pulls the pin then wonders does it need it ???

For around $150 you could get a used computer that's being liquidated by a company or office.  Companies often get rid of their older hardware to replace with newer models.  For web surfing and typing, this will be all you need.  

I wouldn't, and I have only ever used windows based computers, and have never had a virus, due to not opening questionable files.

• John

The last 4 computers I've bought have been refurbished. $200 for my wife's notebook the beginning of this year. Last one was a pretty powerful i7 for under $300. Unless a person has real need for power the refurbished market has really come into it's own the last few years.

BTW, I have a light manufacturing business. One intensive computer task is 3d graphics and 3d printing. Not just playing games.

You need to know more about the internal makeup of the machine.  What Brand?  What is the specs as far as GPU and CPU?  What CPU chip? How much RAM?  How big is the HDD or SDD?   Is this used or New?  If used, what version of Windows? 

Word can be added to any computer, so it's more important when spending your cash to know WHAT you're actually getting. 

Waste of money, get a cheap, second hand one.