Can you be written up for calling in sick?

I work at Walmart and my department manager told my coworker that I will be written up for calling in sick but in the circumstances we are in I would be sent home for coming into work sick. I have been filming videos of me having coughing fits as well as sending videos to my friends/coworkers over the past few days as proof if they try to write me up.

Didn't get written up. The department manager was just being angry. Talked to the HR person to clean things up.

• Favourite answer

If she's calling off sick a lot then yes she can get written up or even fired. I was sick a lot last year because of allergies, I didn't know what was making me feel sick. They questioned me about calling off so much and I told them what was going on. I didn't get fired. They told me to be more careful with my payed time off. 

She should find another reason for calling off these days. With covid 19 they may have to investigate as to why she's calling off sick. Or put new policies in place for when an employee calls off sick. At my work place, you will get a phone call from HR, the manager and your supervisor if you call off sick. They also make you get tested for covid, and they tell you stay at home until you get your results. If it's negative you go back to work. 

If she is really sick, she should be at home so she doesn't infect other co workers. 

They're scumbags and not clear on policy. I've found that at places where you're easily replaced they won't put up with much but then somewhere that it takes a long time to train someone, they are very scared of getting rid of people who are sick very often but know a lot. It's self, self, self and just how much they need you determines what will happen, genuine sickness or not.

If you just stay home, yes.  They do not have to accept videos as "proof" and can require that you must either get a doctor's note or come in and get sent home.

• a

Feeling well enough to film and send videos?  

Puh-leeze. I'm sure Walmart have a number of sick days they allow each quarter. You'd be better off quitting than doing what you're doing.

If your health is so fragile you're calling in sick for half your shifts, you should be seeing a doctor.

• Judy

Yes they can write you up, even if you have a doctor's note.  They usually won't though if you're only off occasionally.

• P

Yes they can write you up, eventually fire you, and even get your unemployment denied in some cases.   Under the eyes of the law you are unqualified to determine if you are sick.  You must provide an official doctor's note saying you need to stay home and that will cover you, but only for the period the doctor puts on the note.  

Typically, an employer will not write an employee up for missing an occasional day's work unless it becomes excessive. Should it become excessive, it's commonplace for them to replace you as they need reliable people that they can depend on as constant absenteeism creates manpower shortages for them. Currently, with COVID, employers tend to be a little more flexible.

Any employer that would write up an employee for being sick is not a company I'd choose to work for. I suppose they can do it, but it's definitely unfair.

• Maxi

Staff are employed to work, so if someone is consistantly calling in sick then they are not doing the job they were paid to do........... reality is you can be sacked not just written up, being written up is just the beginning of being 'let go'

They are trying to run a business.  When employees don't come in they have to somehow keep things running smoothly.