What is the basis of your morals (right and wrong)?

- Believe in the Bible

- Were raised by people with morals like yours

- Believe in the law

- Fear of getting in trouble by the law

- Fear of God

The Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit alone.

Jesus said this is who He is sending to guide us.

Not coming on His own authority.

Telling us of things to come.

Jesus said.."He will take of what is mine"

Source(s): The book of Matthew

Fear of getting in trouble WITH the law?  Nah, I don't worry about that.

• Phil M

In a word,   empathy.

• Paul

Jesus Christ clearly demonstrated that He was God, by constantly doing things only God could do. He, God, founded one Church, said it was to remain one, and promised that one Church "The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me". Where else would I look for God's truth?

• Tony B

Not doing something because you fear the consequences has

nothing

to do with morals! 

It hard for a person to say where their concepts of right and wrong come from. It would be interesting to know if a person who grew up in isolation would have any, what we would call, morals at all; any sense of right and wrong.

For myself, so far as I am able to say, I remember as a very small child being told that something was “wrong” (such as telling lies, not sharing, taking something that wasn't mine, dropping litter, etc.). As I went through life I became aware of what was the “right” thing to do and the “right” way to behave - there was a consensus in the society and culture in which I lived. I also began to understand the importance and the value of these shared standards and beliefs. Generally, if someone tells me something it is true, generally the people around me are not constantly looking for something to steal. They don't attack me in the street and, mostly, they are kind, helpful and polite. This has always been to my advantage and encourages me to behave in the same way.

Like most people, I have in my almost 70 years, done things I regret and behaved in ways that I feel ashamed of but interestingly, my “good” behaviour has not been the result of some fear of the consequences. I have no desire to hurt or kill anyone, I do not with to steal someone else’s property or money, normally I have no reason to lie, I prefer to make people feel good rather than bad, I think it is wrong to take unfair advantage of any situation or position I find myself in.

Empathy.

It is easy for people who are not sociapaths or psychopaths to feel and understand empathy.

Theists need a book and a threat from an invisible sky pixie.

What does that tell you about them?

The basis of my morals is to do the leat harm and the greatest benefit to thinking beings. Society influences my thinking on such questions, so how I was raised does have an effect, among others.

• God is our Creator and as such set the morals we should live by. God also tells us in his inspired written word to obey the superior authorities, the governments under which we live unless their laws contradict God's laws, then we obey God as ruler and not men.

The Golden Rule is the principle of treating others as you want to be treated.

• Believe in the Quran. 

Raised by my Arab mum.

Believe in sharia. 

Fear of Allah

Fear of Allah