MR ANFIELD ACES asked in SportsBoxing · 1 month ago

What was the secret behind Floyds amazing undefeated boxing streak ?

Was it simply the ability to 'adapt' his fighting style in the ring based on his opponents style ?

or was it much more than this that attributed to his 50-0 record ?

Update:

bonus question:  a prime Roy Jones Jr vs Floyd Mayweather circa 09-10  ,  who wins that bout ?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Mier
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Mayweather said his own self he carefully chose fights and at the right time. He lost the first fight to Castillo clearly. He also had a close fight with a last prime De La Hoya who would’ve beaten Floyd in his prime.

• 1 month ago

Well he clearly lost to Jose Castillo in their first showdown but the judges gave him the decision.  It was so bad he had to give Castillo a rematch.

Apart from that he was just a tremendous boxer.  He didn't have another fight that I don't agree that he won and so if I were the judge he would be 49-1. 

Aside from his great boxing ability and ring IQ he also helped bolster his record with wins against fighters that had no business in the ring with him.  Andre Berto and Conor McGregor quickly come to mind.

Circa 09-10 I'm gonna say Floyd because Roy was past it and Floyd wasn't but there isn't any weight class that they could both be in at that point.

• Adam
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

He is a very clever boxer both inside the ring and out. His technique was as close to perfection as you can get, but his boxing brain was phenomenal. His ability to analyse an opponent, find their flaws and exploit them was second to none. Also one thing i think was underrated, he didn't fight round to round. He had the long game in mind. A lot of fighters i see go out to win each round. Floyd didn't mind losing a round if it meant benefitting him in the long run.He also had a habit of fighting the better fighters at the right time.

Prime Roy Jones beats him purely on the weight advantage. But Mayweather was the better fighter.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.