Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 1 month ago

I'm scared to drive...?

I'm 18 and recently attained my driver's license in June of this year. I've only driven 3 times since then. I'm scared to get behind the wheel because I always fear what accidents may occur. Haven't gotten into any accidents yet, but I'm just scared of the possibility. There are very very few buses or taxis in my city. Everyone drives a car here so I have to get used eventually, but it's difficult.

I am scared that you are driving.

Don't be afraid of it.  I have a friend who is in his early 30's, he told me that he had a nightmare when he was 16, that he was driving and got into some horrible car accident.  And because of that one dream, he let it affect him.  He never got his drivers license.  And his mom STILL to this day, drives him to and from work.

I've had tons of dreams about getting into auto accidents, but I don't let that affect me.  I've been in three auto accidents and I've been driving for 26 years now.  It happens, and then in a few minutes it's over.  The accident has happened and now you're taking photos of both vehicles and exchanging information.

As with anything in life, there are going to be risks.  I suggest if you have someone older who can help take you out driving, and go on 25 mph roads and just practice until you feel comfortable.  That's what my mom did when I got my license.

Yes you are scared to drive.  Thank you for asking, I guess.

If you are too scared to drive, then don't drive, and leave the roads free of your irrational fear.

And, apparently you are too scared to formulate an actual question.

Did you have a question for us? 

• Scott

Grow up. Worry about things you can control, not about things you cannot. The world is full of risks. You can choose to never leave the house to avoid most of them, or you can go out and live a decent life among the rest of society.

• CB

Everyone has an accident at some point, it is not a life ending occurrence in most cases, just an inconvenience. You just need to practice on a regular basis - even if you go the same places the situations change daily. A good way to gain confidence and that is all you need to start enjoying the drive.

How did you get to be 18 years old and still act like a 6 year old? Grow up and learn to drive like everybody else does. Keep your phone turned off in the car!

• Barry

Every mile you travel will give you confidence. Just do short trips to start with. Eventually you will enjoy the convenience of driving. I've been driving for over half a century and I still enjoy it.

You'll feel a lot safer when driving an automatic, unless driving a manual is required from where you're at.