Ideas for cheap cheap meals?

So I'm not going to be making nearly as much as before. My budget is about $25 per week (Canadian) for food for the week.... can someone give some ideas of relatively healthy options... like I'd prob have to eat for the most part the same things daily so I'd rather it not be garbage food all the time........thanks for your ideas!

oatmeal.  ramen noodles.  meatloaf (mix in lots of leftover veggie bits).  powdered milk.  popcorn.  peanut butter.  tomatoes for soup, sauces.  pasta.  a one-a-day vitamin supplement.  carrots (bulk).  1 onion and 1 garlic bulb each week.

Potatoes you can make all kinds of meals with potatoes.  Make your own homemade noodles.

buy a whole piece of fish for 8 bucks to last for the week 

• F

Meat is generally the most expensive of food items, but unless you are vegetarian you probably want some. Try a pack of bacon misshapes, sometimes sold as cooking bacon. Some packs are full of fatty pieces and you can generally see what you are getting. Sometimes you get rashers , or steaks or lumps that can be boiled for ham , also making lentil soup at the same time.

The bits and pieces can be used in a pasta sauce or on a home made pizza.

Also try visiting shops near closing when the mark down food near its sell by date. 

Be careful of chicken pork or fish but beef is fine way past its date as is cheese.

Other than that, it’s big bags of pasta and rice. Tinned tomatoes can be be used for many things and are way cheaper than pasta sauces.

• John

I hate cottage cheese...... Most of the advice is good. The bigger the bag of rice or beans you buy, the cheaper it will be. Brown rice is that much healthier, yes. I like pinto beans but any one you like will do. Those will put 2 staples in your pantry so at least you won't starve if the money runs out. A $2 bag of dry beans will last at least two months, probably, eaten occasionally. Chicken is good but mostly hit the sale days and keep your eyes open. Our main store is cheapest on Monday, after the weekend. Our bargain store has deals all the time. My wife scored some 4 pounds of pork for around $6 last visit. Large chunks of shoulder and roast, packed together. That's a lot of meat with no bones. Don't eat prepared foods including canned except for sauces.

• CB

The real trick is to not waste anything, if you trim your veggies drop the trimming in a bag and save for stock (it will be strained). A fryer chicken baked will will provide all kinds of chicken dishes, and the carcass can make a couple quarts of good stock with the vegetable trimmings, Canned tomatoes are cheaper than spaghetti sauce and better for you (just add some garlic and Italian seasoning and cook).

Don't buy full price meats and vegetables - go for the sales, clip the coupons, buy bulk if you have freezer space when you can. 

• kswck2

I would say to buy Orzo-looks like rice, but is pasta. Start with buttered orzo. Next night add ground beef to it. Next night add vegetables to it or just make the leftovers into a casserole. Sick of it by now? It freezes well. 

Buy a whole chicken. Make chicken stock. From each quart of stock add different meats and vegetables and pasta/rice. Freeze. Lasts quite a while. 

In the fall, I often buy an oven stuffer roaster and spend a day making soup, which i freeze. Usually get 14-16 quarts of soup. In the spring, when corned beef goes on sale, I buy WAY too much of it, serve it once or twice and make soup from the rest-and freeze. That's another dozen quarts or so. 

Eggs, rice, vegetables. Anything you can make with those. And you'll have a really hard time eating properly that cheaply, which is less than half what the average Canadian spends on food, unless you hit the food bank or make a habit of visiting friends just when they're about to sit down for dinner. Check the bargain bins at the supermarket a couple of times a week or more.

Fried eggs, omelets, frittatas, eggs fried and added to vegetable dishes as they are in fried rice. I suggest learning to make flatbread of some kind. Invest in a bottle of hot sauce. If you buy any meat at all, make it something flavourful or that you can make flavourful that you can add like a seasoning. Pork is probably the most versatile in that way

Always buy a carton of cottage cheese each week. It's high protein and available fat free if that's what you are looking for. I sometimes buy chicken breast, cook and season it, then whiz it in the food processor. Then I can make chicken salad, or quesadillas or BBQ chicken. A pot of chili or a beef stew is good for two or three dinners. My wife buys bread at Dollar Tree and freezes it, sometimes taking out two slices and toasting them. You can also buy very inexpensive frozen dinners, but they have dreadful nutrition.

Buy brown rice. It has all the essential amino acids that your body needs. It also has more fiber so it’ll make you feel more full. 

Eggs used to be cheap so eggs and rice is a good combo if you add some seasoning to it like soy sauce or sriracha. 

Stock up on canned foods.

Do you know how to bake. Make your own bread.